Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Question about new feature

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lio Posted - Dec 04 2008 : 5:20:42 PM
One of the new features is:
New! Added support for makefile projects (e.g. solutions without files) by parsing the physical directory tree of files as they are opened. (case=18918)

Is it possible to specify folders to parse? I would like to use the find file in solution without having to open them first.

Lio
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lio Posted - Dec 10 2008 : 11:57:15 PM
Well, what if there are a number of different solutions that all reference the dlls from the first solution. Every time you modify the original solution by adding/removing projects you have to then make sure you populate those changes to the following solutions.
sean Posted - Dec 09 2008 : 01:30:09 AM
I've opened a feature request for this: case=21519

I'm still having a disconnect on the reasoning/need for this.

If you have multiple projects in multiple solutions and you want them all to be considered part of the same solution, why not just put all of the projects from all of the solutions into a single solution and use the configuration manager to disable build for projects you don't want built?
sam Posted - Dec 08 2008 : 9:10:40 PM
I would like (1) - a per-solution setting to list additional files/directories. Actually, if you could specify additional solutions to parse, that would be great (Workspace Whiz lets you do this). We have a big solution that has a
bunch of plugins that don't change all that often (solution A), and another solution which is worked on more actively that references the DLLs in that other solution (solution B). I would like to be able to specify that solution A should be parsed as well (but I never want to build it or anything - I just want to be able to open files in it quickly).
Lio Posted - Dec 08 2008 : 9:09:55 PM
Sorry if I wasn't exactly clear in what I want, but number 1 would definitely be it.

(Although what Sam said about what workspace wiz does, where it lets you specify other solutions to 'include' per solution, instead of a folder structure would be good too).
sean Posted - Dec 08 2008 : 8:50:30 PM
For anyone that is interested in this thread, please let us know whether you're requesting:
1) a per-solution setting to list directories/files which VA should treat as being part of that solution (when you don't want them to be added to the IDE solution via normal IDE methods).

2) a single global setting that lists directories/files which VA should treat as being a part of every single solution

3) something else?
Lio Posted - Dec 07 2008 : 10:23:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean
Does your partial solution point to the other solutions via the Additional Include Directories project settings in the partial solution? I could see having an option that proactively parsed those directories into the solution - that would happen during project load; it wouldn't be dynamic based on file loads (the way the new feature works). Right now, VA does not scan the Additional Include Directories for source files - it just uses that list when it is trying to resolve #includes. I suppose it could use the list proactively...

We have 2 different 'solutions', 1 which does use the Include Directories project settings, but the other just references Dlls which we output from the other project.
sean Posted - Dec 07 2008 : 10:06:50 PM
Are the symbols in the additional solutions and directories supposed to always be available regardless of what solution you have open? Or do you set addition solutions and directories per solution?
sam Posted - Dec 07 2008 : 6:29:32 PM
I guess this is unrelated to the new feature, but I would really appreciate something like this too. Workspace Whiz has an option to specify additional solutions and directories to parse, which is really handy.
sean Posted - Dec 05 2008 : 12:58:16 AM
hmm - unless all the files for your projects are in that one directory, being able to specify that one directory won't get VA to help you.

The idea of telling VA what folders to parse kind of defeats the purpose of the feature. We added this feature specifically so that you don't have to tell VA (through a full solution) what files or directories to look in - it is dynamic, just goes by the files that you open. The way you normally tell VA what to parse is to open a solution with files in it.

It seems we need a third option - tell VA what files to parse but not through the solution and without opening the files? A VA makefile for the solution?

Does your partial solution point to the other solutions via the Additional Include Directories project settings in the partial solution? I could see having an option that proactively parsed those directories into the solution - that would happen during project load; it wouldn't be dynamic based on file loads (the way the new feature works). Right now, VA does not scan the Additional Include Directories for source files - it just uses that list when it is trying to resolve #includes. I suppose it could use the list proactively...
Lio Posted - Dec 04 2008 : 5:56:50 PM
We would be happy if you allowed even 1 folder.

We are currently using a partial solution with the rest of the files in 2 other solutions (under a common parent folder on disk) producing dlls which we reference.

Lio.
sean Posted - Dec 04 2008 : 5:31:09 PM
As it is currently implemented, no it is not possible to specify folders.
Approximately how many directories would you want to specify?
Are you using an empty solution or a partial solution?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000