Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 reboot when connected with Remote Desktop

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kapa6ac Posted - Jan 30 2009 : 2:40:33 PM
When I connect to my computer with Remote Desktop and run Visual Studio 2005 with Visual Assist v1715 and if I try to do anything the
computer reboots.
When Visual Assist is disabled everything works just fine.
As well as it was ok with VAX v 1711.
There is no blue screen the system just reboots.

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1715.0 built 2009.01.25
Licensed to:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 2009.12.05
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.5512
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 3
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;
Other Includes:
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Damir Posted - Jun 25 2009 : 10:06:32 PM
OK, after about 4-5 times connecting from home and working in VC6 for 20-40 min each time, I didn't get any BSOD yet. I guess I can also confirm that Intellipoint 6 is the culprit since before uninstalling it I'd definitely get BSOD at this rate.

Intellipoint 5.5 seems to be a safe option, although I'm going to uninstall it too. It doesn't work for my mouse - my mouse is not listed and per-program button assignment is not working.

Thanks for great investigative work tandr!
Damir Posted - Jun 17 2009 : 11:49:57 AM
OK, I uninstalled IntelliPoint 6.1 and installed 5.5 (I like to assign double-click to middle button). I worked for 20-30 minutes last night through Remote Desktop in VC6 and no problems yet. This looks promising, but is still inconclusive. I'll make a note to come back to this thread in 2 weeks or so when I had a chance to work more from home.
tandr Posted - Jun 16 2009 : 6:34:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Damir

Thanks tandr and feline! Interesting discovery. Maybe stupid question, but should I uninstall MS intellimouse on machine I'm remoting to (in my case my work PC) or the one I'm remoting from? I think it is the first one, but just want to be sure.

Also, I currently have Intellipoint 6.1 installed, but found that 6.3 is the latest on MS website. Have you tried with this latest version? Just saw on MS SQL feedback page that someone has BSOD with 6.3, so forget that.

Yes, the machine that you are remoting into. Could you please share the results please?
Damir Posted - Jun 16 2009 : 4:12:30 PM
Thanks tandr and feline! Interesting discovery. Maybe stupid question, but should I uninstall MS intellimouse on machine I'm <b>remoting to</b> (in my case my work PC) or the one I'm remoting from? I think it is the first one, but just want to be sure.

Also, I currently have Intellipoint 6.1 installed, but found that 6.3 is the latest on MS website. Have you tried with this latest version? Just saw on MS SQL feedback page that someone has BSOD with 6.3, so forget that.
feline Posted - Jun 15 2009 : 1:08:36 PM
In this forum thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8684

user tandr was able to turn on

VA Options -> Performance -> Optimize screen updates during Remote Desktop sessions

without getting any crashes after they uninstalled Microsoft IntelliMouse drivers. So you might want to try this, if you are using a Microsoft mouse on the remote / work machine.
tandr Posted - Jun 15 2009 : 12:38:11 PM
I know, it sounds weird... but try to uninstall Microsoft Intellimouse drivers. I have had this problem for looooong time too.

take a look http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8684

EDIT: forgot to attach thread with my experience

Damir Posted - Jun 15 2009 : 11:26:08 AM
I was experiencing BSOD for a while now (since February) when remoting to my work station from home. I couldn't narrow it down for a while. At first I blamed it on Norton Save and Restore, since I upgraded it to v2 around the same time. Then I realized it happens only when I'm working with VC6. The BSOD is random, but happens shortly after try to do something in VC6. I can't be sure it is happening in VS2008 because I don't use it through RD.

Last week I set my machine to reboot on BSOD (instead of staying frozen until I come to work next day), so I will test if VAX is the culprit. First, I'll try to disable this optimization that was mentioned, then try disabling VAX completely. The only problem is that I'm so used VAX, I can't do much work without it!

Currently, I'm using VAX 1724. Graphics card is NVIDIA Quadro FX 570. NVidia Driver: 6.14.11.8265
support Posted - Mar 30 2009 : 09:13:43 AM
case=23919 is implemented in build 1721

To control Remote Desktop display optimization, use this registry entry:

HKCU\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet9\\OptimizeRemoteDesktop = 01

Use VANet9 for Visual Studio 2008
Replace VANet9 with VANet8 for Visual Studio 2005, VANet for Visual Studio 2003, or VA6 for Visual C++ 6.

Default value is 01, which enables optimization. Set this value to 00 to disable. Optimization is disabled automatically for Vista-to-Vista sessions with Aero enabled.

feline Posted - Feb 12 2009 : 7:43:16 PM
We are adding a setting in the next build to turn off the optimisations for remote desktop, which should fix this problem:

case=23919

This does not really get to the root of the problem, but it should help.
Michal Puczynski Posted - Feb 11 2009 : 03:12:50 AM
I have had that issue not only with VAX. There is a series of Catalyst drivers that disables RD at all, but not for all models of graphics. I had Radeon HD2600XT which caused the issue, I was unable to login using RD as it caused either bluescreen or immediate reboot (I saw BIOS POST). The resolution to that was to use old drivers. Currently I am using version 8.421.0.0 which is by one higher then drivers attached in original HD2600XT box (8.420.0.0) and I am not using entire catalyst package, just the driver.
kapa6ac Posted - Feb 03 2009 : 5:30:05 PM
Nothing suspicious in the events log the system does not crash it looks like it just gracefully reboots.
To rule out the driver issue I have to try it on some other machine.
I will do it later on. Now I simply disable VAX when I connect by Remote Desktop.
sean Posted - Jan 30 2009 : 6:44:31 PM
Are any events recorded in the system or application event logs?

Also, just to be explicit about any assumptions - does it work fine when not connected through remote desktop?

There ARE changes in 1715 made to do screen updates differently when in Remote Desktop. I'm not trying to skirt around that issue - but the problem at this point appears to be environment specific and the reboot makes it sound like a driver issue. If that's the case, I think our best bet would be to make the remote desktop optimizations defeatable.
kapa6ac Posted - Jan 30 2009 : 6:16:45 PM
I tried all resolutions - no luck.
gmit Posted - Jan 30 2009 : 4:17:46 PM
One more test - could you try lowering resolution of your Remote Desktop?
kapa6ac Posted - Jan 30 2009 : 4:13:16 PM
I know that M$ is the source of all evil ...
However in this case I know for sure that VAX 1715 causes this reboot.
Since it does _not_ happen without VAX turned on and moreover it did not happen with 1711.
I'll try to make our other developers install 1715 and see if we can reproduce it.
sean Posted - Jan 30 2009 : 3:59:33 PM
Looks like odd reboots are not new to Remote Desktop:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=remote+desktop+reboots+computer+-shutdown&btnG=Search
sean Posted - Jan 30 2009 : 3:52:57 PM
Are any events recorded in the system or application event logs?
kapa6ac Posted - Jan 30 2009 : 3:47:17 PM
I have ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 512 MB
I have the latest driver installed as well as all Windows updates.
The weird thing is that the computer does not crash. It just restarts.
gmit Posted - Jan 30 2009 : 3:00:43 PM
Can you try by installing latest drivers for your graphics card?

Which one you have with how much memory?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000