Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS 2008 hang

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MattLee Posted - Feb 12 2009 : 9:20:10 PM
About once or twice a day for the last few weeks I've been getting an unresponsive hang that forces me to kill the devenv.exe process. We've recently upgraded to VS 2008.
ProcessExplorer shows:
va_x.dll!UpdateDbgState
and the stack for this thread is:
kernel32.dll!Sleep
va_x.dll!MigrateDevColor
va_x.dll!MigrateDevColor
va_x.dll!UpdateDebugState

I've uninstalled VisualAssist, and the issues resolved. But after a whole week of crappy default intellisense, I re-installed VA 1711 hoping a fresh install would work out better. Back to the hanging...
va_x.dll version 10.5.1711.0

Any ideas? Let me know if you need more information about my settings, or version info, etc.

I've seen similar posts, but they are either resolved or slightly different (let me know if I'm wrong).
Seems to happen when I crtl-tab after recently building...

-Matt
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Mar 31 2009 : 1:02:27 PM
I believe that the hangs Matt reported are fixed in build 1721.
Roy Procops Posted - Mar 31 2009 : 12:13:25 PM
Seeing frequent hangs/crashes here. Got a stack trace with both va_x!MigrateDevColor and msenv!DllUnregisterServer, both mentioned above.

Sending more info in, case 25393.
feline Posted - Mar 17 2009 : 9:53:37 PM
If you add .cs to:

VA Options -> Projects -> Extensions -> Extensions to ignore

this will largely disable VA in your C# code. Hopefully you won't need to do this with VA 1718 though.
MattLee Posted - Mar 17 2009 : 2:45:08 PM
Right... I believe .dump /mt gives some timing information for the threads. But it would still take some good sleuthing to derive the hung thread from start time, running time, and processor time. If you've had devenv.exe open for 12 hours and it just hung, the math wouldn't be obvious.

Anyway, I just uploaded another dump file for you guys to look at, this time the main thread (devenv.exe) hung, again with DllUnregisterServer called inside va_x.dll at the top of the stack. Is there any way to turn off multi-threading?
Also, is there a way to disable c# intellisense? Our .sln file has C# and C++ projects in it, and I can make do with Microsoft intellisense for C# because I'm doing mostly C++ development.
I had logging on earlier this month, but apparently I have to enable it every time I open Visual Studio. I'll try to remember from now on.

Also, I just installed the pre-release 1718 build, I'll let you know if that seems to help.

-Matt
feline Posted - Mar 16 2009 : 1:39:14 PM
I am under the impression that a mini dump file from WinDbg will include details of all threads. I may be wrong about this though

It may also depend on the parameters you pass to the .dump command, something I need to read up on and run some tests on before writing the FAQ entry.
MattLee Posted - Mar 16 2009 : 1:15:02 PM
I experienced difficulty dumping with Visual Studio as well. I'd hit the pause button and it wouldn't work, the Save Dump File option was never available. And my processor kept spinning. WinDbg offers more control, and always breaks execution (for me).
Also, one thing to note, I've seen two or three nt.dll threads under devenv.exe responsible for some cpu-pegging, and for this it will help to have the appropriate threadId with the dump file. I use process monitor from SysInternals to find the thread that is causing issue, I paste the threadId into calc, and click Hex for a quick conversion. WinDbg will require that you know your threadId in hex.
If you want, type a ~ in WinDbg to see all threads. There will be an integer index next to the hex id of your thread. To set the debugger to that thread, if the index is 7, type ~7s
Now type kb to see the stack, and hopefully somewhere you will see va_x.dll

The reason I mention this is that va_x.dll can(and usually does) exist in more than one thread, so debugging might lead the investigator to the correct conclusion that the main thread (devenv.exe in this case) is behaving normally. Or, it could mislead them by accusing the wrong method.

-Matt
feline Posted - Mar 16 2009 : 11:00:47 AM
When you say unsuccessful what do you mean?

Sometimes I have had the problem that the menu item "IDE Debug menu -> Save Dump As..." simply does not exist, so I cannot save out a mini dump with the IDE. If you are seeing the same problem then you should be able to save out a mini dump file with WinDbg. I am hoping to write up a FAQ entry on this soon, once I have done some more tests.

For now these instructions might help:

1. Download the Debugging Tools for Windows package from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx and install it.
2. When the IDE hangs run WinDbg ("C:\\Program Files\\Debugging Tools for Windows\\windbg.exe") and attach it to the IDE process (File | Attach to a Process).
3. Type the following command in the Command window:
.dump /m "C:\\IDEDump.dmp"
and press Enter.
4. Send us the resulting mini dump file.

I am not sure if you actually need to download WinDbg, or if the IDE installs it its self, this is one of the things I want to look into. This has worked for me when the IDE refused to save out a mini dump file though.
John_H_Bergman Posted - Mar 12 2009 : 7:09:59 PM
I am using generics.

The times I have tried to take a minidump have been unsuccessful, but I will try next time I encounter it.
feline Posted - Mar 11 2009 : 10:15:36 AM
*oops* my mistake, the email and the question about the std::map class was sent to MattLee

John_H_Bergman any chance of a mini dump from one of these hangs?
Are you using template / generic classes in your code?

It seems the problem MattLee is seeing is related to template code, so I am wondering if there is something similar in your case.
John_H_Bergman Posted - Mar 10 2009 : 6:46:03 PM
I am using pure C#, std::map is C++; so I do not believe that is relavent for me.

=-=-=-

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1715.0 built 2009.01.25
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user/4-PC license) Support ends 2009.10.27
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.1
Font: Consolas 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6001.18000
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1
4 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;

feline Posted - Mar 09 2009 : 4:12:22 PM
Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Using VS2008 and VA 1715 I have just told VA to rebuild its symbol database, then restarted VS2008. After opening my main solution, while VA is parsing everything, I sat in a .h file and triggered Alt-O 30+ times. VA jumped to the matching file and back again perfectly every time, no hangs, no errors.

So something else must be going on here, the question is what?

Is your code on a local drive or some form of network drive?

Next time the IDE hangs can you please load a second instance of VS2008, attach it to the hung IDE and save out a mini dump file?

VA logging of this problem might also be helpful.

Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
thethirdhalf Posted - Mar 09 2009 : 11:44:03 AM
I'm also getting a hang in VS 2008, 1715.

I can hang VS fairly consistent by trying to use some of VAX's features during an initial parse. For example, Alt+O, or a refactoring tool.
feline Posted - Mar 09 2009 : 11:32:07 AM
Did you get Sean's email about this, sent Wed, 04 Mar 2009, with the subject "Re: (Case 24651) VS 2008 - DllUnregisterServer - cpu pegged" ?

There is no sign of a reply. The email said:

quote:
Any chance of being able to get the declarations for MyClass (the template parameter being used in std::map)? I understand if not. It would only be used for diagnosis of this problem. We would not need the implementation - just the header, not the source file.
John_H_Bergman Posted - Mar 09 2009 : 07:04:26 AM
Any progress on this? I still receive hangs, and it appears to be more frequent after installing 1715.
feline Posted - Mar 04 2009 : 10:16:31 AM
Thank you for the files, being discussed via email:

case=24651
MattLee Posted - Mar 03 2009 : 7:39:15 PM
I just uploaded a dump of the DllUnregisterServer cpu pegged scenario. Hopefully this helps.
I was just scrolling through a file, and the status bar said:
"VA X: Creating instance of template :std:map<int,MyClass>:_Tree<_Tmap_traits<_Kty,MyClass,_Pr,_Alloc,false> >:bad_typeid"
It froze there. Three ntdll.dll!RtlAllocateHeap threads were consuming all of my cpu, with va_x.dll!DllUnregisterServer near the bottom of the thread stack.
-Matt
feline Posted - Mar 02 2009 : 2:44:35 PM
being discussed via email:

case=24500
MattLee Posted - Feb 27 2009 : 3:35:36 PM
Ok, got a slightly different busy hang, similar to what I originally started this thread about. va_x.dll!MigrateDevColor. I was able to get a mini dump, but it wasn't easy. I could attach a new IDE instance to the busy devenv.exe, but when I tried to "break all" / pause, the process kept spinning. I had to install the Debugging Tools for Windows, and use WinDbg to attach and successfully dump. Anyway, form submitted, with dump and thread stack screenshot from Process Explorer.
feline Posted - Feb 26 2009 : 09:27:22 AM
Can you attach a new instance of the IDE and save out a mini dump file next time this happens please? This might give us some more clues.

If you can do this please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
MattLee Posted - Feb 24 2009 : 1:50:20 PM
Ok, I'm getting a different busy-CPU behaviour now. There are three ntdll.dll!RtlAllocateHeap threads spinning out of control. One at 50%, the other two each around 25%, making my dual core machine pretty slow. At least the VS UI is responsive, I can save my open files and close studio and try again... devenv.exe is not busy.
The stack trace for all three ntdll threads are the same:

0 ntkrnlpa.exe!HalDispatchTable+0xf
1 va_x.dll!DllUnregisterServer+0x134e0

I've seen this four times this week already (it's Tuesday).

I just upgraded to 1715 this morning, and I'm having the same issue. Any ideas?
John_H_Bergman Posted - Feb 19 2009 : 02:32:02 AM
I have had lots of hangs over the past few months... There is a known issue with VS2008 SP1 (and apparently WPF projects). I have found that setting the number of concurrent builds (Tools->Options, Projects and Solutions, Build and Run), there is a setting for the maximum number of parallel project builds.. when I changed this to 1, it all but eliminated my hangs.

John
feline Posted - Feb 18 2009 : 09:31:40 AM
Corrupt NCB files can crash the IDE, so hopefully this was your problem, and it is now fixed.
MattLee Posted - Feb 17 2009 : 2:17:36 PM
Thanks Sean.
I've been waiting for it to freeze again, but luckily it hasn't.
The only thing I did was delete the old .ncb that was in my solution folder. Maybe that helped. I've been working with default intellisense for VS disabled by renaming feacp.dll, but there was still a pretty large (50Mb) .ncb file that could have been currupt in some way.
I'll let you know if things stay stable.
-Matt
williamx Posted - Feb 17 2009 : 06:17:39 AM
it is hang when debugging here. (vs2008, vax 1715)
sean Posted - Feb 12 2009 : 10:18:41 PM
Sorry to hear about this Matt. Is it a busy, or an idle, hang?

You could try installing 1715 to see if it is an issue that was already resolved though nothing in the changelist seems similar:
http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

If you could capture a minidump when it occurs, that would be really helpful. If so, send it in using this form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

reference topic_id=8519 so we can match it up and make sure to send version info as detailed in the VA Options dialog (system info page).

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000