Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 871203 - older version preference

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jaackov Posted - Feb 21 2009 : 07:33:26 AM
hi
i'm going to compare two special versions of Visual Assist X, 10.2.1445 and 10.5.1711. let's call the former one, va1 and the latter one va2.
at first, i'm going to describe the feature i need va to have.
i use header files which r not part of my projects. there's no clue of what i use from the header files in any part of the solution. they're just #included. the header files r located somewhere in .../src/include. their source codes r located in the same path but in ..src/source. i've not entered the source path in the vc directories. but va1 may find the source file for a header file when i press Alt+O while va2 can't. va2 is newer than va1 and i expect to include its features. but it seems that the older version is more intelligent in finding the source files of the header files i've given their path in vc directories. in va2 i need to add also path of source files of the header files which r used in my solution to vc directories.
i hope i could explain the matter properly.
any idea?
thx
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 21 2009 : 11:32:16 AM
If you have ever opened the source file then VA may remember it, and thus make it available for alt-o.

This is somewhere between a feature and a bug. Some users, some of the time, find it very useful, but it also causes problems for alt-g. If you have two versions of a solution (current and old) and open a file from the old version of the solution, while editing the current version of the solution, you do not want alt-g to now take you to the old version file.

If this happens you can end up editing completely the wrong file, without realising it. Does this make sense?

This is probably why the change you are seeing happened.

In general, if VA has no way of finding or knowing about the files, then it is not going to parse them or offer you any help with them. The standard solution here is to either add them to the solution, or to tell VA about them via:

VA Options -> Projects -> C/C++ Directories

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/directories.asp

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000