Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Bugs/issues with 1721

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
evolution Posted - Apr 01 2009 : 10:13:51 PM
I've noticed several issues with build 1721. Some of them have appeared in previous builds as well. I'm not able to reproduce any of these in a sample project, so it probably has something to do with my solution, VAX stdafx.h additions, or something along those lines (I'm guessing). Mainly wondering whether anyone else has ever seen these, or if anyone has ideas for how to track down the culrpit/repro it reliably.

Languages are C++, C++/CLI and C#.
Our solution is pretty large (neighborhood of a million lines or so), with around 70 projects.
Our solution uses complex macros and templates pretty heavily.
I regularly clear cache and rebuild symbol database (regularly = like once a week or so)

My IDE info is at the bottom of the post. Let me know if there is anything else about my environment or settings that you think might be relevant.

1. Beep every-time I type a comma inside a parameter or template list (as in, the beep you get when you try to click outside a modal dialog, for example). It seems to start doing this after I've been working for a while (haven't been able to determine what I'm doing to cause it to start), but once it starts it beeps everytime I type a comma inside a parameter list or template argument/parameter list. This happens both when typing a function/template declaration as well as when typing a function call or template instantiation.

If I move to the top of the file (before any includes) and try to repro there, no beep!! It doesn't seem to be associated with specific files - it happens in all of them. This has happened in previous builds as well, but started happening pretty recently (in terms of VAX builds). Eventually (say...after a week or so), it will stop altogether, but each time I upgrade to a new version of VAX it will start happening again.

2. When I press "Enter" while a suggestion list is open, it often chooses the wrong symbol. Sometimes the symbols are in no way related. Just now, I was typing SomeSymbol.Num [typed the entire word "Num"], pressed enter, and it was replaced with .Add, even though Num was highlighted in the suggestion list. I backspaced to delete "Add", pressed Ctrl-Space [to open suggestion list], and noticed that Add was the first entry. I typed Num again and pressed enter [try to repro], but this time it worked. This happens ALOT!!!!! (often enough that it's starting to seem like it is providing more nuisance than benefit). I can never repro it if I try to immediatley after.

Another example that's really been bugging me is: at the end of a case block, I type "break;", press enter [to go to next line], and VAX puts the word break after the semi-colon [instead of new-line], making the line look like so: "break;break". Once again if I back-up and try to repro, it works perfectly everytime (until the next time I'm not really paying attention to VAX, it seems, haha). I want to say it first started in 1715, but is definitely __much__ worse in 1721.

3. I have the "Display indicator after column XX" feature enabled. However, VAX seems to "forget" to keep doing this [or something]. Several times I've been working and noticed the indicator was not there. When I open VAX options, the indicator setting is still enabled, all settings are just the way I left them. If I uncheck then re-enable that setting, when I close the dialog, the indicator is back. This is new to 1721.

4. VS2008 becomes super-chugggggggggalicious if VA outline is left visible.

5. Sometimes I'll be typing, and the entire line will just disappear. The cursor goes to column 0 but stays on the same row. Ctrl+Z (undo/redo) doesn't seem to help, nor does switching files and coming back. Sometimes [rarely] the line comes back on its own if I stop typing the instant the line disappears.

After MUCH trial and error, I discovered that I always could get the line back by doing the following: Shift+Down (select the line including the EOL, though it seems like only an EOL is selected), then do Ctrl+X to cut, Ctrl+V to paste: and the line is back to normal. This one is bizarre kids, but other guys in my office have mentioned it happens to them as well. This bug has been in previous builds; doesn't seem to happen any more often in 1721 than previous builds, however.

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1721.0 built 2009.03.25
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.1
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6001.18000
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6001 S
8 processors (x86-64; WOW64)

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Apr 02 2009 : 9:54:18 PM
When 1 and 2 happen, please enable logging via the VA options dialog. Details here:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

For 3, does 'jiggling' the horizontal scroll bar have any effect?
The vertical line has some dependencies on the font that you use in the editor. What font are you using in the text editor?
If you go into the VS options dialog, Text Editor | General, what are your settings for the 4 checkboxes in the Display group?
Are you working in Tabbed or Multiple document environment (VS Options | Environment | General)?
Using split windows?
evolution Posted - Apr 02 2009 : 4:46:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

For items 1, 2, 3 and 5, are these cross-language problems or do they only occur in one language?

#1 seems to only happen in C++ and C++/CLI. I've never noticed it in C#, anyway. It isn't in "beeping mode" at the moment (the inconsistency I mentioned), so I can't double-check....but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

#2 __seems__ to happen in all three languages. In C#, the problem seems to be that VAX can't find the right assemblies and thus chooses the wrong suggestion, which tends to suggest that we just don't have the assemblies in our C# projects setup correctly. Definitely happens in both C++ and CLI, though, and in those languages, it definitely isn't an issue with assemblies or includes or anything; in the example I mentioned, the suggestions were all from the correct class - it just chose the wrong one. Almost seems like if I type the symbol+press enter too fast, it "commits" the wrong one even though it's highlighting the correct one.

#3 happens in all languages. Looking at a .cs file right now, actually, and indicator is MIA.

#4 happens in all languages.

Oh, in the previous response you asked how many files in our solution: 7424
evolution Posted - Apr 02 2009 : 4:37:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

There's a lot here to chew on...

How many files are in your solution (see the title of the VAssistX | Open File in Solution dialog)? When you do a symbol database rebuild, approximately how long does it take for VA to parse your solution?

Regarding item 3, if you have a large file open, you may want to disable the "Auto Update" option in the outline (see outline context menu). If you uncheck "Auto Update", the outline will only be built after you give it focus. Also, the "Auto Expand Nodes" option might be at play. Is that checked or unchecked?

"Auto Update" is checked. I'll uncheck it and give it a try.

"Auto Expand Nodes" is NOT checked....but the only thing it appears to be _not_ expanding automatically is the #includes node.
sean Posted - Apr 02 2009 : 3:05:50 PM
For items 1, 2, 3 and 5, are these cross-language problems or do they only occur in one language?
sean Posted - Apr 02 2009 : 2:48:23 PM
My previous response had item 3 but that was in response to item 4.
sean Posted - Apr 02 2009 : 12:44:53 PM
There's a lot here to chew on...

How many files are in your solution (see the title of the VAssistX | Open File in Solution dialog)? When you do a symbol database rebuild, approximately how long does it take for VA to parse your solution?

Regarding item 3, if you have a large file open, you may want to disable the "Auto Update" option in the outline (see outline context menu). If you uncheck "Auto Update", the outline will only be built after you give it focus. Also, the "Auto Expand Nodes" option might be at play. Is that checked or unchecked?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000