Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1721 bug: snippet detection

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alexo Posted - Apr 08 2009 : 7:07:34 PM
Using VS2005 SP2.

I have a snippet "///" that expands to a line of 80 '/' characters followed by 2 carriage returns.

In 1715, VAX always detected the "///" sequence and correctly suggested expanding it.
In 1721 it sometimes work and sometimes doesn't.

Often I type "///" and nothing happens. Then I backspace the last '/' and type it again and VAX suddenly remembers that it's a snippet.

Unfortunately I could not reproduce it consistently.
Here's something that usually causes it to happen:
1. Open a C++ file.
2. Navigate to a non-empty line using the cursor keys
3. Hit the [END] key
4. Type the snippet trigger

It also happens on empty lines under certain circumstances but the above is more reproducible.

It is quite annoying.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - May 01 2009 : 8:44:55 PM
case=25849 was a duplicate of case=25111.
case=25111 is fixed in build 1723
feline Posted - Apr 15 2009 : 1:20:54 PM
Some progress has been made internally, but the way the problem only effects certain shortcuts is confusing matters.
Alexo Posted - Apr 14 2009 : 3:24:15 PM
Please let us know when there's an ETA.
Thank you!
feline Posted - Apr 14 2009 : 10:45:49 AM
I have also noticed that some shortcuts work reliably, while some have problems. I am not seeing any obvious pattern to explain this though.

Thank you for the extra details, I have added these to the bug report.
AdrianS Posted - Apr 13 2009 : 08:09:57 AM
I also noticed that four character snippets that begin with // do seem to work properly, even with the space.

I use a //+ snippet a lot, so as a workaround I added a //++ snippet that's a copy of the //+ snippet. When I find that the three character snippet didn't work, I just hit + again. It's not perfect, but it's better than hitting backspace and typing the + again.
AdrianS Posted - Apr 13 2009 : 07:29:15 AM
FWIW, other whitespace such as tabs and CR have the same effect as a space.

This was driving me nuts until I figured out the space connection. I'm glad that it's a high priority fix.
feline Posted - Apr 10 2009 : 10:29:22 AM
What I am seeing seems quite reproducible, and looks like a regression. I have put this down as an urgent bug as a result.
Alexo Posted - Apr 09 2009 : 6:08:45 PM
As I said, it is inconsistent.
It often happens to me on blank lines as well (without typing spaces) until I switch to another application, then I can no longer reproduce that case. The "space" case seems to work even after switching to another app and back.

Never happened to me in 1715 (regression?)
feline Posted - Apr 09 2009 : 5:32:52 PM
Typing the space then the shortcut was the missing step. Once I type the space I am seeing the problem here:

case=25849
Alexo Posted - Apr 09 2009 : 1:46:17 PM
Also, It happens with other snippets as well, "/**" for example (which I hadn't changed from the default.
Going to the end of the line, typing a space and then the snippet shortcut does not detect it.
feline Posted - Apr 09 2009 : 12:37:49 PM
Can you please zip up all of the TPL files in the directory:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\ USERNAME \\Application Data\\VisualAssist\\Autotext

assuming you are using winXP. Can you also export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then use both your VA Snippets and settings here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
Alexo Posted - Apr 09 2009 : 10:47:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Do you have any other snippets with the same shortcut? Or is it just this one snippet?

Approximately how often does this fail? 1 time in 10? 1 time in 2? 1 time in 200?

I have just tried this here and so far I am not seeing any problems.

- One snippet for each of C++, C#, HTML, JS
- The process I outlined above fails either 100% of the time or close to it.
- Sometimes it fails on empty lines as well, but this is very inconsistent
- Never happened with 1715
feline Posted - Apr 09 2009 : 10:06:16 AM
Do you have any other snippets with the same shortcut? Or is it just this one snippet?

Approximately how often does this fail? 1 time in 10? 1 time in 2? 1 time in 200?

I have just tried this here and so far I am not seeing any problems.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000