Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Positive confirmation only

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fredizzimo Posted - May 17 2009 : 05:28:46 AM
I love visual assist, but hates when it tries to do too much for me. Say I have the following code

class VATest2
{

};

class VATest
{
public:
	void FunctionThatDoesSomethingElse();
private:
	VATest2 testCounter;
};

int main()
{
	VATest a;
	//Cursor is here
	return 0;
}

My cursor is at the //Cursor is here line
now I type a.FunctionThatDoesSomething() and what I get is a.FunctionThatDoesSomethingElse(). This case is not that bad, but what if I type a.That(), yes I get a.FunctionThatDoesSomethingElse() again. Then I type a.Count(), I get a.testCounter(). Then I want to assign to a public variable called test, so I type a.test=5 and I get a.testCounter=5.

I know that I can press esc to abort the suggestion, but this really destroys my flow, I much rather press tab when i really want the completion. I frequently code like this especially when writing unit test, where I like to write the code first and then add the missing functions. But also when writing normal functions I often want to call non-existing functions in other objects. So this is a thing that I encounter multiple times per day.

What makes it even worse is that sometimes the member box doesn't even show up, if you type fast enough, and still it does it's magical annoying thing. Another thing is that esc is not really a friendly key, I cannot press esc, without moving my hand, so it takes a couple of seconds until I can resume tying. Another key, like ctrl would be more acceptable. The tab key for positive confirmation is good though, I can press it without moving my hands from the basic typing position.

I have the accept with "Any character not available in a symbol" unchecked, and visual assist should respect this, no matter what the IDE would do by default. I know this has been brought up before as case=9369. But that's one and a half year ago. This is the most critical bug for me, and I guess for many others as well, so we really need to get it fixed.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Aug 04 2010 : 5:36:58 PM
"Selections committed with" behavior for member lists is now configurable under VA Options | Advanced | Listboxes. (case=9369), implemented in build 1829.
fredizzimo Posted - Sep 25 2009 : 04:16:04 AM
Sorry for the late reply.

But this has worked great, thank you. Visual Assist feels so much better now
sean Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 10:04:18 PM
Build 1727 has support for disabling the default "complete on any character not valid" behavior of C/C++ members lists. It does not have a UI element in the VA Options dialog though.

To disable the default behavior, exit all instances of Visual Studio and add a new registry value:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X
string value named: MembersExpandOnAny
value: No

Changing the default behavior should only affect the C/C++ experience and is dependent upon the VA listbox "committed with any character not valid in a symbol" option being unchecked (otherwise the MembersExpandOnAny value is ignored).

Please let us know how this works out for you.
fredizzimo Posted - May 18 2009 : 4:19:12 PM
I really hope that you can enable this, be it an option or not. Being consistent with visual studio's default intellisense shouldn't be an issue, since the primary goal of your tool, at least for me is to boost the productivity, and to some extent minimize bugs in the code.

Glad to hear that it's being discussed at least :)
accord Posted - May 17 2009 : 11:14:19 AM
This behavior is consistent with default intellisense, so you will see it even with disabled Visual Assist.
I've put in a comment to

case=9369

about this problem, so I guess it will have been discussed internally. This case was originally opened to apply VA listbox "selections committed with" options to all listboxes, but there may be a better solution for this problem.

We like to be consistent with default intellisense, but since this behavior bothers a lot of users, we are considering to provide a solution for this.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000