Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS2008 and Multiple Windows

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dreijer Posted - Jun 03 2009 : 11:35:22 AM
Visual Studio 2008 has a feature where you can create multiple windows (Window->New Window) for the same source file. This is really useful if you don't want to split your current window into two parts.

However, VA breaks when using the second window. Whenever you enter e.g. . (dot) or -> (arrow) in C++, the symbol appears in the first window rather than the one currently active. At first, I thought VA simply didn't insert anything for some odd reason, but when I compiled my application later on I saw that all the characters I had entered in the second window had been entered in the first window, like this: .->...->()))(()

Sometimes I can enter fine in the second window, and sometimes not, but it's definitely annoying that I can't use the full potential of the second window whenever I want.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 09 2009 : 7:18:31 PM
Many apologies for the delay in getting back to you about this, we have been trying to figure out what might be going on, but we are not making any progress.

Have you ever seen any form of pattern to this? Anything that might give us a clue as to what is going on, or how to trigger / reproduce this?
dreijer Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 09:43:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by accord

Is "Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" setting in

Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Documents

enabled?
No.

quote:

Approximately how often does this fail? 1 time in 10? 1 time in 2? 1 time in 200?
It's hard to say really since I haven't found a way to reproduce it consistently. Once it's happened though, I need to close that second window or sometimes restart VS to get it back into a working state. It's definitely consistent, but I haven't yet found what causes it to happen.

quote:

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information (for example the exact VS version) about your setup.

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1724.0 built 2009.05.01
Licensed to:
VA X: <removed for public display> (Non-renewable license) Support ends 2009.05.06
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.867
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.867
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6002.18005
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6002 S
2 processors (x86-64;
WOW64)

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0\\Include\\gl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;
C:\\Positive\\vendor\\boost\\1_38-sdk\\include\\boost;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;
accord Posted - Jun 09 2009 : 03:05:25 AM
Is "Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" setting in

Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Documents

enabled?

Approximately how often does this fail? 1 time in 10? 1 time in 2? 1 time in 200?

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information (for example the exact VS version) about your setup.

I'll keep up with trying to break it.
dreijer Posted - Jun 03 2009 : 7:43:18 PM
I use the latest version. I believe that's 1724?

quote:
Can you reproduce this on demand? If yes, what steps are required to break it?

As I wrote in my original post, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've repro'ed this on multiple machines on different projects with several versions of VA so it's definitely not 'just' a problem with my current setup.

Have you tried switching between windows with the Ctrl+Tab shortcut? Maybe that reproduces it after a while. I usually just work on a project and after a while when I'm in the second window it just breaks.
accord Posted - Jun 03 2009 : 5:56:15 PM
Which version of Visual Assist do you use?

>Sometimes I can enter fine in the second window, and sometimes not
Can you reproduce this on demand? If yes, what steps are required to break it?

I opened a new window (Window -> New Window), but everything works as expected so far.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000