Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Bold member instead of local variables?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jeffintheusa Posted - Jul 13 2009 : 12:23:03 PM
Is there a way to have the member variables be bold instead of the local, or just set the color different for local verses member variables?

Thanks!

Jeff.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 14 2009 : 2:44:00 PM
A related thought, you may want to try giving methods / functions a more obvious colour as well. Personally I have these set to orange, and I find this helps me to pick them out from the general code.
jeffintheusa Posted - Jul 14 2009 : 1:14:31 PM
I respect your position. After a day of working with it, the current system works fine. I just changed the color of variables to an orange so it was easier to read/see the member variables.

This is a great great tool! I'm just evaluating now and will definitely be buying.
feline Posted - Jul 14 2009 : 12:19:03 PM
I don't have anything personally against fruit salad, but I have seen the occasional picture when people say "why does VA not do this" that made my eyes and head hurt.

Partly we are just trying to avoid adding to many more options, since these can get a bit overwhelming, and make testing and maintaining VA difficult.
wlater Posted - Jul 14 2009 : 11:30:13 AM
You got a problem with fruit salad or somethin...?

I'll put in my two cents that I would also prefer member = bold, local = regular. I'm used to VA's local = bold now but if VA offered the option, I'd set it the other way. Maybe could expand the option to a selection of 3 options: 1) Local= bold/Member=regular, 2) Local=regular/Member=bold, 3) both regular.

It's a minor nit to me and I won't lose any sleep if it's left as is. But the above would be a minor improvement IMO.
feline Posted - Jul 13 2009 : 2:37:01 PM
We are trying to avoid adding any more colouring options for individual items, to avoid making nearly every word on the screen a different colour
jeffintheusa Posted - Jul 13 2009 : 2:34:08 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. For me personally the bold attribute draws your eye to the local variables when I'm more interested in being able to quickly identify the member variables. I've been using eclipse for a while and the member variables there are blue and the local black so it is a bit of a struggle to re-program my brain. :)

Perhaps this could be considered as an enhancement request for a future version - being able to set color/style for local and member.

Best, Jeff.
feline Posted - Jul 13 2009 : 2:20:57 PM
Not currently no. With local variables set to bold the non bold variables should all be member variables, making them easy to pick out.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000