Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Refactoring Tools Shootout

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
legalize Posted - Jul 31 2009 : 01:10:08 AM
Visual Assist X gets my recommendation in this refactoring tools shootout...

http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com/2009/07/12/refactoring-tools-shoot-out/

I tried to find the most appropriate forum here for this, I hope it's OK that I posted it here.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mike ONeill Posted - Aug 05 2009 : 08:27:37 AM
Hi

I responded to the link you gave put put it here for completeness

I think in summary a few good refactoring beats all . Some of teh RefactorPro ones are a bit obscure and I found myself using only a few % of the ones available. Ironically those covered by VAX. Admittedly I would like to see a few more but not at the expense of performance in th IDE.

Dev Express have worked on Coderush express and the second release was better that the first but still impeded every day work

My Response ...

Hi I agree with the review

I have used VAX for 3 yrs + now and I use its refactoring regularly. The one big aspect to VAX is the improved intellsence and things like Auto Snippets with shortcuts and the ability to use acronyms for intellesence eg ProcessDataSet it will list it as a suggestion if you type just pds. The refactoring to me is a bonus on all teh otehr features of VAX.

That said I have dabbled with Refactor Pro and even have a license , but still I see the performance hit and eventually uninstall it , It could benefit from an off switch . I agree its refactorings are slick but I can't live without VAX so it loses out. If you could swith it off in every day use I may well use it again, just for refactoring

I recently tried the Coderush Express freebie from Dev Express with the same result , dog slow. I suspect its the sheer fact that 3 parsers are vying for position . Once again I gave up and reverted to VAX only .

As you gather I am a great fan of VAX,but I also share the sentiment that a few good uns beats a load of slow uns . A lot of the RefactorPro ones are a bit obscure and a good base set is VAX plus whatever VS 2008 gives as std

Hope this helps

Mike
feline Posted - Aug 03 2009 : 10:26:43 AM
Create From Usage is new, and we will be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this refactoring, if you use it.

We work very hard to make sure that VA does not slow down normal editing and browsing, and I certainly understand your feelings here.
legalize Posted - Jul 31 2009 : 7:20:50 PM
I didn't know about "Create From Usage", thanks for pointing that out to me. I'd rather have fewer rock-solid refactorings than gobs of refactorings that are buggy. Actually, I can even put up with the occasional bug, but there's no excuse for any add-in slowing down browsing code. That was the final straw for me.
accord Posted - Jul 31 2009 : 6:43:30 PM
Thank you for the link, interesting post. Yes, Visual Assist has less refactorings then some other tools, but C++ support and reliability are great help in my everyday work

Also, the available refactorings are being increased. I'm a great fan of refactoring, so I just can't wait for new refactorings, always want more and more

Recent modifications that shows the progress:
We introduced VA Outline which is not only a great navigation tool, but you can even re-order the file by drag-and-drop.
Later we introduced "Add include" refactoring which adds the required include file for a class, function, etc.
We provide preview to an exciting new refactoring feature called "create from usage": http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8809
We are still working on it and it has been improved internally.

I find the new/existing refactorings useful. Not countless, but carefully chosen.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000