Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Colouring bug for symbols in bold

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Damir Posted - Aug 18 2009 : 1:25:12 PM
Here's the bug that's been present for a while.

I am using latest build 1727. VS 2008. Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Local symbols in Bold is On.

If you declare a variable within a scope of some function, it is correctly displayed in bold. If you add an instance of a class that has a member variable with the same name, it will then also be displayed in bold (wrong).

Consider the following C++ snippet:

void SomeClass::some_function ()
{
int some_var;

CMyDialog dlg;
dlg.some_member_var = 5; // nice light gray color
dlg.some_var = some_var; // dlg.some_var is in bold!

//... etc
}

Thanks
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Damir Posted - Jun 23 2011 : 5:38:39 PM
Thanks for he update
feline Posted - Jun 23 2011 : 4:36:18 PM
This is still in our list of bugs to fix, but unfortunately it is not an easy fix. VA's colouring code has to run very quickly to keep up with scrolling and typing, and we also have to work behind the IDE, without its knowledge, which complicates matters. So duplicate symbols can confuse the colouring code since it is hard to tell which one is which while colouring.
Damir Posted - Jun 23 2011 : 10:43:48 AM
Any chance this will be fixed? Here are couple more examples of this bug in C++ VS2010, VA X 10.6.1850

Below is CMyClass in Hello.h file. Suppose we have a member function that takes a variable named the same as one of the member variables. Good practice issues aside, the member variable is now highlighted in bold.

And here's Hello.cpp file. All occurrences of 'special_var variable are now always highlighted in bold because of the 'some_function' presence with its similar name parameter.

Here's a second variation of this Hello.cpp file. Now we've addeda local definition of class at the very top and gave one of its variables the same name as the variable in CMyClass declared in hello.h. As you can see, first problem is that all variables of CLocalClass are in bold, and second problem is that CMyClass variables with the same name are also in bold now.

Regards,
Damir

accord Posted - Aug 18 2009 : 3:37:20 PM
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the clear description.

case=10071

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000