Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1731 Create from usage

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AshMcConnell Posted - Aug 20 2009 : 05:49:29 AM
Hi Folks,

This looks like a fantastic addition to Visual Assist's refactorings.

However, I can't get this to work for methods and member variables (using Visual Studio 2008 SP1 with C++)

Any ideas what could be wrong? Enums appear to work (although it added an extra comma when I tried).

Thanks for your help
All the best,
Ash
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Sep 10 2009 : 3:10:24 PM
case=31318 is fixed in build 1734
sean Posted - Aug 21 2009 : 3:27:51 PM
I've opened case=31318 to make Create From Usage available through overloaded operator ->.
AshMcConnell Posted - Aug 21 2009 : 12:49:19 PM
Hi Feline,

Forgot one thing, I am using boost::shared_ptr for my pointers, sorry I should have mentioned. I tried with a "normal" pointer and it worked as expected. I use boost so often I forget that i'm using it these days :)

I am heading out now, I'll try to get a small example that has the double comma problem in it tomorrow or Sunday hopefully.

Thanks for your help!
All the best,
Ash
feline Posted - Aug 21 2009 : 12:16:48 PM
Your second point first, since it is easier, this does work for me. Using the class from earlier I added the following code to a cpp file:

static int testCreateFromUsage(CString argString)
{
	testCreateFromUsageCppClass *ptrTc;
	ptrTc->myNewMethod(1, 2.0);
}

trigger Create From Usage on this new method, and the class gained the new method:

void myNewMethod( int param1, double param2 );

Create From Usage works in my tests for both a class instance, a class pointer, and using:

testCreateFromUsageCppClass::methodOffClassName( 3.2 );

it is only a beta, but it is quite a well formed beta

If this is failing for you then we need to understand why.

The enum, I have just tried this test here, after placing your enum into my class in the .h file. When I added the new enum item into a class member function in the cpp file and triggered Create From Usage the enum item is added correctly to the header file, and all the commas are in the correct places.

Can you reproduce these problems on demand? Is so it would be very interesting and useful to see the code that is causing the problems. Namespaces can confuse VA sometimes, but this does not explain the enum. VA located the correct enum to update, so it should update it correctly.
AshMcConnell Posted - Aug 20 2009 : 2:04:02 PM
Hi Feline,

Thanks for the reply, for the enum I started off with this

enum BotClientState{
		BC_NOT_READY,
		BC_READY,
		BC_SENDING_GRIDPOS,
		BC_SENDING_PRELAP,
		BC_SENDING_DATA,
		BC_FINISHED
	};

I typed BotClientState::HELLO then did a create from usage refactor

The result was: -

enum BotClientState{
		BC_NOT_READY,
		BC_READY,
		BC_SENDING_GRIDPOS,
		BC_SENDING_PRELAP,
		BC_SENDING_DATA,
		BC_FINISHED,,
		HELLO
	};

I think it may have something to do with namespaces. I typically have my code in a namespace of Sirocco, but I tried the refactor from the main.cpp which just "uses" the namespace rather than namespace Sirocco { ... }. When I tried a refactor from inside the class where the enum was defined it worked as expected.

As for the methods / variables, I was thinking it would work as follows (like eclipse iirc): -

myObject->myNewMethod(1, 2.0);

and then do a refactor on myNewMethod.

I tried your example and it worked as expected, I thought it might work from a pointer to an object, perhaps I'm asking too much from a beta :)

All the best,
Ash

feline Posted - Aug 20 2009 : 1:22:38 PM
Can you post some sample code showing the problem? It works for me, in quite a few different situations. Also I am not seeing any extra unwanted comma's added when using this on an enum.

Using the following simple test code, VS2008, VA 1731 and C++ I added this to a header file:

class testCreateFromUsageCppClass
{
private:
	long m_nUsageMember;

public:
	enum UsageEnum { USE_CHOCOLATE, USE_BANANA, USE_ORANGE };

public:
	void usageMemberFunc();
	int constMemberMethod() const;
	void usageFuncWithParameter(CString argString);
};

and this to the matching cpp file:

void testCreateFromUsageCppClass::usageMemberFunc()
{
	countChocolateBars();
}

Create From Usage worked perfectly for me on the new function "countChocolateBars".

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000