Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS2003 Shows No VA Menu

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jim800 Posted - Aug 23 2009 : 8:32:11 PM
I have VS2003 Pro. After installing VA 1731 after a fresh reboot (before launching the VS 2003 IDE), I then launch VS 2003 and see no Visual Assist menu. I tried to go to Tools|Customize|Toolbars, but Visual Assist is not in the list. A previous FAQ entry said that under this situation one should reinstall. I have tried reinstalling several times and after several reboots--to no avail. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling--to no avail.

The add-in is active and I get VA options when I try to add code, such as a try/catch construct. Its splash-screen tip-of-the-day screen also appears when I launch the IDE. But the menu is never available. Alt-X and Alt-A also do not work (they do not show the VA menu or dialog). Also, NO OTHER ADD-INS are installed.

The menu appears in VS 2005 with no issue but I need to use in VS 2003.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Jim
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jim800 Posted - Sep 17 2009 : 12:16:50 AM
Awesome! Thank you!
support Posted - Sep 10 2009 : 3:20:17 PM
case=31422 is fixed in build 1734
jim800 Posted - Aug 25 2009 : 8:57:35 PM
You're welcome. And thank you for still supporting VS 2003!
feline Posted - Aug 25 2009 : 2:43:43 PM
This is very interesting, thank you for the update. I have made a note about this, and it should certainly help us pin down what is happening here.

I always press Yes when asked by habit these days, since I am always installing different builds of VA and don't want to think to much about it
jim800 Posted - Aug 25 2009 : 2:40:44 PM
I have some new information:

I had 1727 running. I then decided to retry 1731 because I wanted to examine the event logs... This time I said "No" when 1731 Setup told me that there are changes to menus in this new version--and when the IDE appeared, it had the VA menu! When I say "Yes" to that query (and thus accept the new 1731 menu) this is when it does not appear.

Does this help?
feline Posted - Aug 25 2009 : 1:45:16 PM
I have compared two virtual machines. One is a clean machine, where VA has never been installed, and I restore back to this state on a regular basis to test things. On this machine there is no IDE menu for VAssistX in VS2003.

I have a second testing machine where nearly every build of VA for the last 2 years has been installed, including many builds that were never released, and on this machine the VAssistX menu does appear in VS2003.

So something about the install history matters, but I am not sure what. It does seem to involve builds earlier than 1727 though. There may be a file that older installers installed that is still present that helps, but that does not explain the effect of moving between VA 1727 and VA 1731 on a clean machine.
jim800 Posted - Aug 24 2009 : 9:40:14 PM
Hello again,

I really appreciate your feedback and offer to send a key, if I need one. I will take you up on that offer should it become necessary.

(EDIT: OK, I think I understood what you meant--if a system that never had VA on it first had 1727 instead of 1731 then I could probably have succeeded going from 1727 to 1731; but since I started with 1731 I cannot then go back to 1727 then to 1731 and see the menu...)

One thing you said has me confused: I did install 1727 and then tried to install 1731 afterwards. When I did so, 1731 removed the VA menu that was displaying properly in 1727. Please note that I did not uninstall 1727 first--I ran 1731's setup while 1727 was already installed. So when you suggest above that I should be able to see the VA menu if I have an older version installed, I am not sure that this is entirely accurate. I was able to reproduce this several times. If I install 1727 AFTER 1731, the menu comes back; install 1731 again, the menu goes away.

I do understand the Beta concept, so I am very sympathetic. I hope my feedback helps you troubleshoot more efficiently.

Please let me know if I can do any other tests for you and I will be happy to provide feedback.

Regards,
Jim
feline Posted - Aug 24 2009 : 6:27:25 PM
I saw the same problem where the menu disappeared when reinstalling 1731. We are currently looking into the problem as a high priority issue.

For some reason it only effects a clean install of VA, if you have been using an older version of VA then you can install 1731 without any problems. This is something we can perhaps experiment with if need be. For now you should be able to run VA on a 30 day trial, but if you have any problems with the trial please let me know and I will organise you a trial license key.

To be fair VA 1727 is our general release version, and 1731 is only a beta release. It should still work, but this is why it is a Beta
jim800 Posted - Aug 24 2009 : 3:14:39 PM
Well, your idea worked. I installed VA 1727 (even without uninstalling 1731) and the menu appeared in the IDE. However, when I re-ran the 1731 setup (without uninstalling 1727) it completed without errors but then the IDE had no Visual Assist menu.

So, for now, I have no option but to use 1727 if I want to see the menu in VS2003's IDE.

I hope you fix this. I am running the trial only and cannot get authorization to use this product in its current state due to the menu issue. I realize, however, that this may take awhile to fix and that it is not happening on VS 2005 and 2008 IDE's (I only tested under VS 2005 and it works there).

Thank you for your help... I will keep checking this thread for an update...

Jim
feline Posted - Aug 24 2009 : 2:07:44 PM
I have managed to reproduce the problem here, but so far it is machine specific. I am not quite sure what the trigger is, but it is clearly happening.

For now can you please try downloading and installing VA 1727, our previous version, from this page:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.asp

I am getting the VAssistX menu and toolbar in VS2003 with this build, so hopefully it will work for you as well.

case=31422
jim800 Posted - Aug 24 2009 : 12:46:53 PM
Hello,

1) I am logged on as Administrator when running VA setup and when trying to launch VS 2003.
2) I looked in Task Manager and all instances of Devenv were gone. I then tried your command above. I saw the VS icon appear for about 20 seconds in the task bar--then it disappeared. I then tried to re-launch VS 2003 and load a simple project. I still see no VA menu nor do I see VA listed in Tools|Customize|Toolbars.

So, I guess your suggested steps made no difference...

Any other ideas? I am very knowledgeable about Windows (I'm a Microsoft Certified Professional).

I am using the trial downloaded last night from your site. This particular instance of Windows XP SP3 has never had VA on it before, so there cannot be a conflict with any previous version of VA.

Thank you,
Jim
feline Posted - Aug 24 2009 : 11:59:55 AM
Were you logged in as an administrator when you installed VA?

Can you make sure all instances of VS2003 are closed, and then try opening a command line prompt and running the command:

"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe" /setup

This should take a few seconds to run. Does this make any difference?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000