Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Strange auto-completion

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smeuser Posted - Aug 26 2009 : 10:11:51 AM
Hi,

I noticed the following problem in the last 3 releases (1731, 1727 and whatever I used before).

Entering a new method in a class will auto complete after typing the methodname and the () often with the first word in the line.
Example:
class ABC {
public:
ABC(); // auto-completes to ABC(ABC) after pressing the )
void test(); // auto-completes to void test(void)
void irgendwas();
int afsdjasidfjae(irgendwas); // the irgendwas here is auto-completed
};

The option "Any character not valid in a symbol" is turned on (and of course, if I turned it off it works). So the murks is, that even I did not start a symbol (I just entered the first bracket), he tries to give some suggestions and the next letter will terminate the non existent symbol.
I would suggest, that the option "Any character not valid in a symbol" should be valid only if I started to enter a symbol.

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1731.0 built 2009.08.19
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.1
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors (x86)

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Aug 27 2009 : 6:30:22 PM
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the clear description.

case=31567
smeuser Posted - Aug 27 2009 : 03:13:49 AM
Yes, I meant exactly that. If I start a new project, it is not directly, that I get ABC(ABC) or void test(void). It takes some (small) time until suggestions popup at all. And then the behaviour is there.

I just tested it with 1727 on a Windows 7 RC, VS 2008 (which is not used for C++ developing) and the behaviour was similiar (instead of void, VAX completed virtual which does not make any sense).

I submitted for this (since I am not at the customers site where I have my usual VAX installed) the settings.
To reproduce it, I did the following:
0. Installed VAX 1727 first time, set everything to max and selected "Any character not valid in a symbol".
1. Create new C++ Project Win32 Application (nothing changed in the wizard, just press finish)
2. Above int _tmain, I inserted a class and some method. I had to save once and wait a little moment and the I get these suggestions and the auto-completion.

BTW, if I enter 'void method(', VAX will complete the ')'. Since I have to type the ';' by hand, I enter the ')' by myself (overwriting the auto-inserted ')'. Upon the pressing the ')' the auto-completion will happen.
accord Posted - Aug 26 2009 : 5:01:23 PM
Does it mean that when you typed ABC( you got "ABC" as a suggestion? Or when you typed void test( you got "void" as a suggestion?

If yes, can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

because I wasn't able to reproduce the effect here. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000