Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Definition bar limit

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
maxim2000 Posted - Sep 15 2009 : 05:13:20 AM
The text length of Definition bar is limited to 260 characters. But some DDK functions prototypes have more than 350 symbols (e.g. ZwCreateFile). So, I can't see them all in Definition bar and there is no mark/sign that more symbols available.
VS2005/VA1734
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 24 2009 : 11:24:01 AM
This is an interesting idea, I have put in a feature request to see what our developers make of it:

case=32634

As for Home+Left and End+Right, I saw a similar thing, but as soon as I used Left or Right on their own to move the caret one more character the tooltip tended to reappear. I never saw an exact pattern here, but it sounds like I was seeing the same thing you are seeing.
maxim2000 Posted - Sep 23 2009 : 06:53:03 AM
Well, function overloads really make some problems. Could VA differentiate these two situations?
- No overloads. Up and Down don't cause the tooltip disappearing.
- Has overloads. Up and Down move through overloads, no multi line function detection.

Actually the low level DDK C-functions have no overloads and have lots of args (more than 10). So a function call statement is always multi line.

I don't know why, but from my experience Home+Left and End+Right cause tooltip disappearing.
feline Posted - Sep 21 2009 : 5:00:12 PM
I have never come across this idea before, this is an interesting point. A practical concern is that Up and Down arrow keys are used to move through the overloads, changing the tooltip to show a different overload. Trying to make Up and Down do both is going to get confusing.

If you use Ctrl + Left and Right arrow or Home and End to move to the start and end of each line you can move to the next and previous line via a single left and right. Not quite so easy, but it might help a bit.
maxim2000 Posted - Sep 16 2009 : 11:13:50 AM
I meant the following:
BracketsInParameters(
  &handles,
  true,
  5);

tooltip disappears here after moving caret up or down. (fail situation)
But if I'm typing the tooltip doesn't disappear. (good news)
feline Posted - Sep 16 2009 : 10:19:34 AM
Surfing the code, yes, this tooltip only shows you one function at a time, so I can see that it is not so useful.

Multi line functions should work correctly. One of my standard tests for the parameter information tooltips is the inline function:

void BracketsInParameters(
		__in int nCount,
		__in_ecount_opt(nCount) const int *pHandles,
		__in bool fWaitAll,
		__in int dwMilliseconds,
		__in int dwWakeMask)	{ }

where each of the parameters is on a different line, but all parameters are shown correctly in the tooltip for me. The screen shot is VA 1735, VS2005:

Do you have an example where this fails for you?
maxim2000 Posted - Sep 16 2009 : 09:07:24 AM
Actually I wasn't familiar with this key combination, I knew "Ctrl+Alt+Space" only.
I tried it and found usable, however it has a couple of disadvantages.
It doesn't support "multiline functions" (args are on the different lines). (Is this a bug?)
And I can't surf a code and see the args at the same time.
Anyway, thank you for this combination.
feline Posted - Sep 16 2009 : 08:27:19 AM
Are you aware that you can press CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE when the caret is inside a function call to show the tooltip that shows the function parameters? VA will make the current parameter bold, making it easier to see what you are doing.

You might find this to be a helpful work around for now.
maxim2000 Posted - Sep 16 2009 : 03:30:55 AM
My Definition bar width is about 80 characters, and I move the cursor to discover function arguments using Ctrl+arrows. I can use Alt-G, but usage of Definition bar is more handy and faster, because I see function arguments and my code at the same time. Otherwise (using Alt-G) I need to switch files very often.
accord Posted - Sep 15 2009 : 5:25:05 PM
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the clear description.

case=32305

Anyway, I am wondering why did you encounter this problem. Is this because your definition bar is wide enough to display more than 260 chars?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000