Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 selections committed unintentionally

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
invino4 Posted - Jan 19 2010 : 02:14:12 AM
I am finding that the selections in listboxes are committed when you type a character that is not valid in a symbol regardless of whether check box for this is unchecked in the settings.

I normally use only the Tab to commit because I type fast enough that short symbols can be typed before the selection box shows up. Recent builds however end up taking selections from the listboxes even though they haven't appeared on the screen yet so i'll be halfway through the next line of text before I realize that it inserted the wrong symbol in place of what I actually typed in the line before.

I think this has become more of a problem with the Dev10 Beta 2 because it is slower at drawing (could just be because its a beta) which causes the effect to be more pronouced and not give me time to hit escape (which I wish I didn't have to do anyway).
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Mar 08 2010 : 04:20:58 AM
case=38549 is fixed in build 1814
accord Posted - Jan 22 2010 : 04:01:05 AM
I was able to reproduce your problem:

case=38549
invino4 Posted - Jan 21 2010 : 11:28:58 PM
Done.
accord Posted - Jan 21 2010 : 02:58:49 AM
Strange. Can you please export your IDE and VA settings via

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

and

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings

and send them via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

so I can export them here to investigate. Please include the topic ulr in the description so we can match it up.
invino4 Posted - Jan 21 2010 : 12:52:02 AM
At:

Tools-> Options...->Text Editor->C#->Intellisense

my text box for "Committed by typing the following characters" is totally empty (all characters removed) and the issue still occurs. It is only turned off by unchecking the box "Include suggestions in listboxes" in :

VAX Options->Advanced->Suggetions
accord Posted - Jan 20 2010 : 4:23:55 PM
The option

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Selections committed with: Any character not valid in a symbol

is applied to suggestion listboxes.

As I seeing here it doesn't behave like a suggestion listbox. But I have found the solution for this, it is controlled by this option:

Tools -> Options... -> Text Editor -> C# -> Intellisense

VA stopped accepting the listbox in your generic example after I deleted the characters from the editbox under "Committed by typing the following characters".

This is why Visual Assist options does not applies for these listboxes: since there is a Visual Studio option, VA follows it for consistency (the behavior is same without VA enabled in this case)
invino4 Posted - Jan 20 2010 : 12:31:54 AM
The case where this happens to me most often is when programming in C# and I type a generic type (e.g. a variable declaration):

SomeGeneric<T
^

The T causes a suggestion list and the > accepts the first suggestion from it automatically. Hense if I meant to type:

SomeGeneric<T> a = ...;

instead i get:

SomeGeneric<TnamedType> a = ...;

If the listbox accept options don't also apply to suggestion lists is there some reason that a similar set of options are not available for suggetion lists?
accord Posted - Jan 19 2010 : 03:53:00 AM
The option

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Selections committed with: Any character not valid in a symbol

should turn off unintentional selections of symbols in suggestion listboxes.

The following will turn off automatic selections for all listboxes:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W371

In case you dont know the difference: member listboxes appears after you type . or -> after an object, suggestion listboxes are only guesses and they appear when you type to other places.
invino4 Posted - Jan 19 2010 : 02:17:31 AM
After playing around a bit more, I found this effect doesn't happen if I turn off the option 'Include suggestions in listboxes'. Apparently it is the suggestions that are getting selected?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000