Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Find References stops

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eve Posted - Feb 05 2010 : 03:56:32 AM
There seems to be a problem in the 'Find References' result window:

If you double click a result while the find is still busy, then sometimes the find stops and the progress bar freezes. If this happens, the 'Stop' button no longer works.
A new find references works well and removes the progress bar and stop button when it finishes.

I cannot reproduce this reliably, but it happens frequently. It seems to happen most during the first time you do a find references in an environment (might be just a feeling).
I'm currently using 1810, but this problem is there for quite some time now (sorry, can't remember the first time I've seen this).

---

VA_X.dll file version 10.6.1810.0 built 2010.01.22
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (30-user license) Support ends 2010.09.10
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.867
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.867
Font: Courier New 15(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6002.18005
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6002 Service Pack 2
4 processors (x86-64;
WOW64)

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\DevStudio\\vs2005\\VC\\include;
C:\\DevStudio\\vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\DevStudio\\vs2005\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\DevStudio\\vs2005\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\DevStudio\\vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\DevStudio\\vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\DevStudio\\vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\DevStudio\\vs2005\\VC\\crt\\src;

22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - May 10 2010 : 8:59:36 PM
case=43506 is the development case generated from support case=43391.
case=43506 is fixed in build 1823
sean Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 3:11:05 PM
Handling this in case=43391
sean Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 3:02:32 PM
yeah, sorry about that. The form tries to send the file as an attachment and that part failed. Need to update the form...
davenovak Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 3:00:16 PM
Yes -- that's it. You've got the entire file. I just never knew it due to the error reported to my side.
sean Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 2:58:19 PM
@dave: I see devenv.zip with size 142,287,720. Is that the whole file?
davenovak Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 2:41:43 PM
I'm getting timeouts upload my dump file through the Contact Us page. Is there some other means of getting this file to you, such as an FTP server?
davenovak Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 2:29:04 PM
I am using the latest release (build 1822) and I can reliably reproduce the original problem. I can reproduce this easily by double-clicking more than one result while the find is still busy. At that point, the entire Visual Studio environment freezes up on me. This is really quite a serious problem, especially given that any recent changes are lost and you must kill and restart your development environment.

So far, I've only tried this under Visual Studio 2008, though I also have Visual Studio 2010 installed (just no good test cases yet in that environment).

I have captured a dump file for this and will be sending that to you shortly.

Any light you could shed on this problem would be appreciated.
support Posted - Apr 10 2010 : 9:18:29 PM
case=40775 is the development case created from support case 39768.
case=40775 is fixed in build 1819
sean Posted - Mar 08 2010 : 8:33:32 PM
@Trouvist: The problem you are experiencing seems like it is a bit different than the problem that eve is seeing. Can you please reproduce the problem and capture a minidump of the hung process? This FAQ entry explains how to do this:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W303
Trouvist Posted - Mar 03 2010 : 1:10:03 PM
I apologize for the delay in my response.

One thing I did not mention (though my Windows Server 2003 machine currently has VisualSVN installed) is that it was locking on that system before I installed VisualSVN. I was only using TortoiseSVN before, but found out about VisualSVN so I acquired it.
eve Posted - Feb 16 2010 : 02:13:17 AM
Sean, I don't seem to have such a key...

I disable VisualSVN by crippling my registration key in the registry. This did not remove VisualSVN from the IDE, but at least it did not work any more.
I was still able to reproduce my problem, so that did not help us much.
sean Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 7:26:03 PM
Source code control providers are registered on a machine-wide basis in the Windows registry at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\SourceCodeControlProvider
feline Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 6:51:15 PM
I have now installed VisualSVN onto a winXP test system here, but so far no signs of any problems with Find References. So simply installing this is not enough to trigger problem.

As for disabling it, I have no ideas. A web search found the statement that it is not written as an addin, it is written as a source code control provider instead, which seems to be a quite different thing.

Thank you for the information about 64bit Windows, I have updated the FAQ entry.
eve Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 12:12:41 PM
I searched for the VisualSVN key, but could not find it.

You also might want to update the faq entry. On my 64 bit system, my VAX key was here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\8.0\\Addins\\VAssistNET.Connect8
feline Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 11:40:04 AM
I have the mini dump file, thank you for this, hopefully it will offer some clues:

case=39768

For VisualSVN, do you know which version you are using? Since you are using VS2005 you will probably find that you cannot stop the plugin loading via the Add-in Manager dialog. This is a design decision by Microsoft, and this FAQ entry explains how to use the registry to stop VA loading in VS2005:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

there may well be a similar registry key for VisualSVN. I will try and setup a test for this here soon, and see if I can reproduce the problem.
eve Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 11:12:18 AM
I managed to reproduce the issue and uploaded a .dmp file, hope that helps.
As for VisualSVN: I did not manage to remove it. If somebody knows how to do this, please let me know.
eve Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 10:18:28 AM
For the moment I'm not able to reproduce the problem, and I don't think something was changed to my environment.
I'll keep on trying.
Unfortunately VisualSVN cannot be disabled, so when I am able to reproduce the problem, I'll simply uninstall it to see what happens.
feline Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 09:49:01 AM
Trouvist the IDE looking hard is a very serious problem! Next time the IDE locks can you please save out a mini dump file and send it to us. This FAQ entry explains how to do this:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W303

eve a mini dump from you, of the IDE while the Find References scan is stuck might be interesting. Is the VisualSVN plugin listed in the dialog:

IDE tools menu -> Add-in Manager

with a check box? I am wondering if you can disable this plugin and see if you still get this problem. Since you both have this plugin installed I am wondering if it is a factor here.
Trouvist Posted - Feb 11 2010 : 12:00:39 PM
I forgot to mention it does it independently of what solution or project I'm running or the size of it (small ones or large ones, more commonly on large ones because it takes longer to search and I forget it crashes).

Laptop Config:

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1738.0 built 2009.10.01
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.1
Font: Consolas 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.3790.3959
Windows Server 2003 5.2 Build 3790 Service Pack 2
2 processors (x86)

Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;

Other Includes:

C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;
Trouvist Posted - Feb 11 2010 : 11:58:07 AM
I can second this bug report. For me it happens everytime I am doing a Find Reference result and I double click on a result before it finishes searching. For me, I am unlucky enough that it completely locks the IDE and I have to hard-restart it using task manager. It does it 100% of the time, and it does it both on my Windows XP and Windows 7 workstations (Desktop and laptop). I am running Visual Assist X and VisualSVN and that's it. Below attached is one of my setups, I'll post the setup from the laptop too.

VA_X.dll file version 10.5.1738.0 built 2009.10.01
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.1
Font: Consolas 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7600.16385
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7600
4 processors (x86)

Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;

Other Includes:

C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;

eve Posted - Feb 09 2010 : 02:49:07 AM
In a freshly opened IDE, I can always reproduce this with the first Find References I do (in a few tries: after double clicking at most 5 times).
I reproduced it when double clicking a member function, but I don't know if that matters.

The refresh button remains disabled, so I cannot push it.

Other addin's: I have VisualSVN and 'rockscroll',

feline Posted - Feb 05 2010 : 1:13:13 PM
Approximately how often do you see this problem? 1 time in 2? 1 time in 50?

Using VS2005, VA 1810 and a large C++ solution, so that Find References takes quite a while to finish, I have tried this perhaps 25 times, restarting the IDE 3 times in between, and so far no sign of the problem.

I have double clicked on results in the Find References Results list more than once within each search, but the search never stopped.

If you use the refresh button in the Find References Results list does this make any difference?

Do you have any other addin's installed? Any utilities that might be a factor here?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000