Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Committing selection malfunction

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
maxim2000 Posted - Apr 01 2010 : 06:44:17 AM
namespace ns
{
	struct Auto {};
}

void f()
{
	ns::|
}

After the last colon VA shows Auto in suggestion list. Then I can commit it with any of symbols: */-.,;:! etc. (not a digit or a letter).

It causes many problems, because in real word VA might not see many symbols in namespaces (e.g. if they are included with "#include"). I hope it will be fixed, but now when I want to type something like this: "ns::INVISIBLE_FOR_VA_TYPE* Var;" then VA replaces my text "INVISIBLE_FOR_VA_TYPE" and I should type it again.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Aug 04 2010 : 5:27:03 PM
"Selections committed with" behavior for member lists is now configurable under VA Options | Advanced | Listboxes. (case=9369), implemented in build 1829.
maxim2000 Posted - Apr 08 2010 : 07:32:05 AM
Thank you, it works fine now. I should've read your directions more carefully.
accord Posted - Apr 07 2010 : 3:10:56 PM
I got your settings, thank you.

You set MembersExpandOnAny to Yes, but the correct setting is No for you, since you don't want members listboxes to expand on any key not valid in a symbol.
maxim2000 Posted - Apr 07 2010 : 03:43:21 AM
Yes, I've got the wrong result with your example: listbox isn't closed and HereWeGo is committed with *.
I've sent you VC6 and VA settings. And also I see the same behaviour in VS2005.
accord Posted - Apr 06 2010 : 4:58:32 PM
For me, VA simply closes the listbox:

Also, I have tried your example, and got the same result (closing listbox) Do you also get the wrong result with my example?

class ccc {
	int HereWeGo;
};

void fff()
{
	ccc obj;
        obj.
}

Can you please send me VC6 and VA settings? So I can import them here to see if I can reproduce the problem here, or whenever I can see the cause of the problem.

VA settings are easy, just use:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings

and pick up the generated registry file. For VC6 settings, use regedit to export their settings directly:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\DevStudio\\6.0\
You can send the files using this form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please include the URL of this thread in the description field so we can match it up.
maxim2000 Posted - Apr 05 2010 : 05:18:42 AM
Yes, VA is consistent with recent IDEs. Moreover it is inconsistent with the old IDE VC6
I do not use Create from usage but I see that in some cases VA does replace my text if I type in an unknown symbol. I did more tests and found that It happens when the unknown symbol or unknown string is a substring of known string. For instance:
namespace ns
{
	#include "wtypes.h"

struct AutoBlob {};
}

void f()
{
	ns::BLOB*|
}
Here VA replaces BLOB with AutoBlob in that moment when I type *. Actually I wanted to declare a pointer to the structure BLOB, which is declared in wtypes.h.

IDEs cope with this problem by clearing focus from the member listbox like on the picture from my previous post.

Unfortunately MembersExpandOnAny item doesn't help in this case and I see the same effect in VS2005 ("Auto list members" is on and VA desabled).
accord Posted - Apr 02 2010 : 5:55:53 PM
This quote applies to newer IDEs, and I am also seeing that it isn't true for VC6.
VA also doesn't replace your text if you type in an unknown symbol. If it was the truth, you wouldn't be able to use Create from usage to create new members VA replaces the symbol if you type a character which would be invalid in a C++ symbol name, for example if you type dot (.) This is how the newer IDEs work by default, so the conclusion is that VA is consistent with recent IDEs
maxim2000 Posted - Apr 02 2010 : 02:47:51 AM
quote:
Without Visual Assist X installed the IDE automatically accepts a member listbox (a listbox produced by dot or -> after a variable) when you type any character not valid in a symbol name.
For consistency Visual Assist X does the same thing.

IDE automatically accepts a member listbox if appropriate option is set. But it is not set. So I'm not sure if VA should still automatically accept a member listbox.

If I turn all the "Statement completion options" on and disable VA, then IDE lets me type unknown for it types and does not replace my text, because IDE clears selection in the list when it encounters unknown type.

I didn't find item "MembersExpandOnAny" in "HKCU\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X", but I tried adding it:
"MembersExpandOnAny"="Yes"

and it seems help. Now when VA recognizes unknown symbol in namespace it simply hides the member listbox. It's a good solution for me. Thank you.
accord Posted - Apr 01 2010 : 3:33:17 PM
These settings are only used for suggestion listboxes. Suggestion listboxes are VA's best guess what you might type, while member listboxes display the members of a class or symbols of a namespace, like in your examples.

You can turn off "Any character not valid in a symbol" utterly:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W371
maxim2000 Posted - Apr 01 2010 : 06:54:32 AM

VA1814/VC6/WinXPsp2

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000