Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Build 1819 test Retail VS2010 and C++/Cli problems

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
madusmacus Posted - Apr 14 2010 : 08:48:10 AM
I am new to visual assist, but it looks like a ray of hope for us HATED C++/Cli people.

checking out this beta the problems effecting me are

1) no hover tooltips show at all

2) Investigating contents of namespaces via typing...
using namespace System::
does not bring up a listbox of possibilities but.
using namespace System.
Does work although syntacticaly incorrect for C++/Cli
it does not autocorrect it to :: if you select from the list either

3) Typing a function name as below does not show its defined argument list
int myfunction(int num1,float num2)
int i=myfunction(

but if i type
int i=myfunction(,
it shows the defined argument list

well im very new and i have probaly done something wrong but...
in case this helps the beta i posted this :-?)
in the case i am an idiot... sorry to bother you :-?)

many thanks
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Sep 20 2010 : 10:30:32 PM
We opened case=49718 for the comment/documentation issue. It is still open.

case=1224 was just for the parameter names. That was fixed in 1832.
support Posted - Sep 20 2010 : 10:15:06 PM
case=1224 is fixed in build 1832
feline Posted - Aug 18 2010 : 2:30:34 PM
Unfortunately it is possible to confuse VA's parser with using namespace lines, especially when there are duplicate class names in different namespaces:

case=44742
GregDude Posted - Aug 14 2010 : 01:11:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

The comments not being shown in the tooltips is currently a known limitation:

case=1224

For the namespace problem, using VS2010 and VA 1829 I have just entered the following code into a CLI cpp file:

using namespace System::Resources;

void testFunction()
{
	ResourceManager.ResourceSets(|)
}

with the caret here VA is quite happily showing me details for 16 different overloads of this function. Am I testing the right thing here? Can you please post a simple code sample that shows the problem?

That did not work for me and I found out why. There was another 'ResourceManager' C++ class in the solution. Though not accessible from the current scope, it was displayed by VAX in preference to the .Net class of the same name.

Prefixing with the correct namespace did work around the issue, but I believe there is a real issue here. If the .Net version is accessible via 'using namespace' and the native class has not been #included or forward declared etc, the .Net one should be displayed. If I do #include the native C++ version, the compiler then produces error C2872 : ambiguous symbol, demonstrating no conflict or ambiguity previously existed.
feline Posted - Aug 09 2010 : 3:22:22 PM
The comments not being shown in the tooltips is currently a known limitation:

case=1224

For the namespace problem, using VS2010 and VA 1829 I have just entered the following code into a CLI cpp file:

using namespace System::Resources;

void testFunction()
{
	ResourceManager.ResourceSets(|)
}

with the caret here VA is quite happily showing me details for 16 different overloads of this function. Am I testing the right thing here? Can you please post a simple code sample that shows the problem?
support Posted - Aug 04 2010 : 5:56:35 PM
case=42348 and case=42351 are fixed in build 1829
GregDude Posted - Aug 04 2010 : 06:32:03 AM
Great to see beta v1829 appears to resolve this issue (Case 42351).

Running MSVC 2008 side by side with 2010 + VAX I notice VAX is not always picking up on 'using namespace', thus requiring the user to type, for example System::Resources::ResourceManager instead of just ResourceManager in order to see correct parameter overloads. Also the 2008 Intellisense shows a few lines of text description for the current function, which is not present in VAX.
GregDude Posted - Jun 15 2010 : 05:55:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sean
...You might be confusing ctrl+space with ctrl+shift+space?...

I think I am. The main issue was that I could not by keypress or automatically, easily display the function parameter details.
sean Posted - Jun 14 2010 : 10:42:08 PM
So far as I can tell, ctrl+space is working as it should. The message from the default intellisense still appears - VA does not intercept/filter messages sent to the status bar by default intellisense.

You might be confusing ctrl+space with ctrl+shift+space? ctrl+shift+space is for parameter info whereas ctrl+space is for completion. Or are you looking for some form of parameter info-based automatic completion? Or by "the current in context auto-complete style content" are you referring to VA suggestions? There is no keybinding to produce a list of VA suggestions - that should occur as you're typing and seems to be working fine for me in cli source.

To review:
Parameter info is a tooltip that usually appears after typing ( or by pressing ctrl+shift+space. This is not working right now (case=42351) - hope to address in the next release cycle.
VA Suggestions appear while you are typing. No known bug re: cli source.
Completions lists appear when you press ctrl+space. No known bug re: cli source.
GregDude Posted - Jun 14 2010 : 10:16:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

@GregDude: You previously wrote that "The whole product is quite useless to me without this working" (referring to case 42351). Then you later wrote: "overzealous display of "IntelliSense: 'Unavailable for C++/CLI'" might be preventing the auto complete from working properly?" case 42351 is about parameter info not about auto complete. When 42351 is fixed, it will have no effect on any auto complete problems you are experiencing. case 42349 was about auto complete - and even then, it worked after pressing ctrl+space (fixed in 1822).

Is VA useless because parameter info does not appear automatically (case=42351) or is there another problem you are experiencing?

Thanks feline and sean.
Sean, yes, VA is not currently useful because I must type a comma before viewing parameter info, which is the #1 intellisense style feature I'm after. In addition, if I press Ctrl-Space to try and force the parameter info or other info to appear, it does not, instead I see the MS 'Unavailable for C++/CLI' message in the status area. A window DOES pop up when I press Ctrl-Space, however it does not display what I expect, it is some massive list of symbols, not the current in context auto-complete style content. Now that my 30 day trial has expired I am no longer able to test further to see how new versions behave.

I am guessing that case 42351 is my primary hold back. If you test the latest VA on a C++/CLI project in VS2010, you should be able to obtain the same experience as me and judge its usefulness. Thank you once again.
sean Posted - Jun 14 2010 : 9:27:01 PM
@GregDude: You previously wrote that "The whole product is quite useless to me without this working" (referring to case 42351). Then you later wrote: "overzealous display of "IntelliSense: 'Unavailable for C++/CLI'" might be preventing the auto complete from working properly?" case 42351 is about parameter info not about auto complete. When 42351 is fixed, it will have no effect on any auto complete problems you are experiencing. case 42349 was about auto complete - and even then, it worked after pressing ctrl+space (fixed in 1822).

Is VA useless because parameter info does not appear automatically (case=42351) or is there another problem you are experiencing?
feline Posted - Jun 14 2010 : 6:40:09 PM
One partial answer is that we only have so many resources, and we have been focussing most of those resorces on getting initial support for VS2010 working properly, in time for the release of this version of the IDE.

Now that this is done, hopefully we can now focus more on other areas and start looking at this soon.
GregDude Posted - Jun 12 2010 : 9:55:10 PM
I hear and share your frustration madusmacus. I do understand thought that they (MS) have release dates they try to meet and that C++/CLI is a niche language, despite being the most powerful of them all (superset features, mixed native/managed, plus more). It would help if they publicly declared support and provided an ETA so we could switch at a known time. It is a significant and costly effort to update supporting products for both customers and ISVs. The best communication we have from MS is ancient blog posts.

That's why I'm visiting WholeTomato, hoping to buy a missing feature. My trial period has expired so I can no longer test new versions, but the change log does not list full working support for C++/CLI yet, mostly due to case 42351 I believe.

These sorts of delays are normally restricted to open source software, where you expect to get what you pay for.
madusmacus Posted - Jun 12 2010 : 10:06:12 AM
I still cant belive microsoft can get away with this - "IntelliSense: 'Unavailable for C++/CLI'"
It makes me really realy angry - I am disgusted at them to the point i will try never to buy their stuff again :-?(
Mind you Intel ae jsut as mad - they wont support vs2010 with their fortran product till 2011 is seems
all mad i tell ya all maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
GregDude Posted - Jun 12 2010 : 07:25:49 AM
Great to see new builds, but still no progress on this? I am guessing Microsoft's zealous display of "IntelliSense: 'Unavailable for C++/CLI'" might be preventing the auto complete from working properly? Whichever way, I'm counting on you to fix this soon ;)
GregDude Posted - May 21 2010 : 11:22:39 PM
Good to hear, thank you.
feline Posted - May 21 2010 : 11:55:18 AM
This is down as a high priority bug, and it is being worked on currently, but unfortunately I cannot give you any time scale just yet.
GregDude Posted - May 21 2010 : 06:00:28 AM
Any ETA on resolution for Case 42351? The whole product is quite useless to me without this working. Also, is there a way to view the current issues/cases?
GregDude Posted - May 08 2010 : 02:35:15 AM
When these issues are fixed properly I'd consider purchasing this software just because intellisense is not yet working for C++/CLI in MSVC 2010. Build 1822 still requires typing a comma before suggestions appear.
madusmacus Posted - Apr 23 2010 : 11:29:12 AM
Thanks for info :-?)
sean Posted - Apr 23 2010 : 10:21:31 AM
Sorry - I mistyped a case number. 42438 is actually 42348. That is improved in build 1822, but the case is still open as we want to make some changes on it.

42351 is still open and we will be addressed in a followup build.
madusmacus Posted - Apr 23 2010 : 03:34:14 AM
Thank you for the feedback :-?)

my testing shows

2) case=42349 - works for me now :-?)

3) case=42351 - i still have to press a "," after the 1st "(" to find out the funtions defined argument list
Maybe this will not be of any use when we get hover tooltips working (case=42438)
assuming that hovering over a funtion name is suposed to show its definition

thanks again
support Posted - Apr 23 2010 : 03:12:50 AM
case=42349 is fixed in build 1822
Also, while investigating issue #3 above, we opened case=42352 for parameter info tooltip failing to dismiss when backspacing over the opening parenthesis. This is also fixed in 1822.
sean Posted - Apr 14 2010 : 2:57:05 PM
No, you haven't done anything wrong. Thanks for taking the time to report these problems.

1. QuickInfo hover problem is case=42438

2. It looks like VA is waiting for the IDE when the VA option "Get content from default Intellisense" is enabled, even though for CLI there is no default Intellisense. Ctrl+space will force VA to display the listbox after System:: case=42349

3. Interesting. I wasn't able to reproduce because I accepted the suggestion for the function when I typed "myf" - the param info appeared as expected. But it fails when I type the name all the way out. case=42351

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000