Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Syntax coloring not working in VS 2010

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
voiid Posted - Apr 23 2010 : 4:38:08 PM
Release : VA_X_Setup1822.vsix
The enhanced syntax coloring doesn't work fully in a larger Visual Studio 2010 project, in smaller project it seems to work?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jun 03 2010 : 10:16:17 PM
case=43386 is fixed in build 1825
sean Posted - Apr 28 2010 : 10:28:42 AM
So far as we're able to tell, this is a bug in Visual Studio 2010 that doesn't affect all users. It requires an extra restart after installing the vsix. That is, the restart after installing the vsix is insufficient. An extra restart is needed. We are working on way around this problem. case=43386
ricardog Posted - Apr 28 2010 : 03:56:20 AM
Hi feline, I have experienced the problem again on another computer and now I believe this is indeed a bug. Here's what I did:

1) VS2010 RTM with VA 1819 installed was running with my C++ project along with some code files open.
2) Installed VA 1822 over it (without closing VS2010).
3) Restarted VS to load the new VA build.
4) Reopened the solution. The files were without VA syntax coloring. The status bar indicated "Intellisense parsing...", then "VA parsing...", then "Ready". Still no colors. I did wait for more than 10 minutes, tried to reopen files, re-enable syntax coloring option, nothing fixed it.
5) Restarted VS2010 again. The syntax coloring was back and is working fine since then.
feline Posted - Apr 26 2010 : 11:14:18 AM
VS2010 often needs to be restarted after installing VA before VA's syntax colouring becomes active. This might be a factor.

ricardog another factor is that VA needs to have finished parsing your solution and all of the stable include directories before it can do any syntax colouring. Until VA has finished parsing it does not know what colour to make things. This can take a few minutes, but should not take more than 5 or 10 minutes at most, even for a large solution.
ricardog Posted - Apr 24 2010 : 04:06:41 AM
I've also experienced this problem after updating from the previous build to 1822. The C++ code was being presented with standard VS2010 colors instead of VA colors, and even restarting the IDE didn't work. However, it seems that it magically fixed itself after a couple of minutes or so.
voiid Posted - Apr 23 2010 : 5:55:16 PM
Sorry, sure here are more details:
http://www.deutsche-computer.de/Aufzeichnen.JPG (screenshot)
I'm doin C++.
another project I opened shown the colors as usual like in VS 2008.

Owwww, I restarted as you said. Now it's working. I had this solution open all time while i opened the other solutions after that. But this was the first solution of all :/.

I'm sorry for the trouble
accord Posted - Apr 23 2010 : 5:40:31 PM
What do you mean by doesn't work fully? Certain symbols are not colored or certain type of coloring doesn't work?
What programming language are you using?
Can you please take a screenshot of a problematic area and post here? This may help us to understand what is going on.
On the off change, did you tried to restart Visual Studio since you installed VA? (I saw coloring problems when this helped)

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000