Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Installation 1822 on VS2010, Access Denied

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ricky Posted - Apr 26 2010 : 07:45:16 AM
Hello,

I've got a problem installing version 10.6.1822.0 for VS2010 (downloaded file: VA_X_Setup1822.vsix). I am receiving a message from the Visual Studio Extension Installer when double clicking the installation file: "Access denied (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))".

Here comes the screenshot:

I have local admin rights, VS2010 version is "10.0.30319.1 RTMRel", Operating system is Windows 7 (32bit).

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
- Ricky
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 28 2010 : 2:08:53 PM
Thank you for the update, I have made a note of this. As you say, hopefully this will help if anyone else reports the same problem.
Ricky Posted - Apr 28 2010 : 02:16:22 AM
After fixing "HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Shell Folders\\Personal" and "HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\User Shell Folders" the installation run pretty easily and VA works great.

Thanks for your help! Maybe this thread can be a hint to others.
feline Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 11:21:32 AM
This does sound like a network / user configuration problem. The VSIX file is basically a zip file. This is not a Visual Assist X installer, this is a "zip" that VS2010 knows how to unpack.

Hopefully you can fix the problem without to much trouble.

VA is a user specific extension, which is why, if you are running Visual Studio 2010 with administrative privileges, you will need to explicitly allow extensions to run:

Tools | Options | Environment | Extension Manager | "Load per user extensions when running as administrator"
Ricky Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 03:14:46 AM
I was able to use ProcessMonitor now and got about 1.300 file-events.
Beside all the success messages I found:
From button to top there are a few "FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS" entries, then "NAME NOT FOUND" and "PATH NOT FOUND" all related to a "VSIXInstaller.pdb" which cannot be found on my system. Maybe that is the point where it tries to get a better error message from the debug database. So I looked up a bit.

After serveral failing accesses to PDBs there comes "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\PublicAssemblies\\de\\mscorlib.resources\\mscorlib.resources.exe" with "PATH NOT FOUND".
Before the mscorlib-failures I get "NAME NOT FOUND" with "C:\\Windows\\CSC\\v2.0.6\\namespace\\spirit\\users\\tuser\\Eigene Dateien" which seems similar to the reported access to the network mapping for user files. And 2 entries before that we get "ACCESS DENIED" for "\\\\spirit\\users\\tuser\\Eigene Dateien".

Now it comes to my mind: "tuser" is not may user name within the domain. It should be "bla". The "tuser" directory exists within "\\\\spirit\\users" but I am not allowed to access it through Windows Explorer.

So now I thing this is not "Visual Assist X" related but to our network/my laptop configuration. I'll try to have a talk with our admins.

Nevertheless Thanks so far for your help!
Ricky Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 02:52:25 AM
Thanks for your comments so far.
I am not able to download Process Monitor right now. But a deeper look at the event log (should have been an idea of me ;) ) shows me the following:
quote:
Fehler 0x80070005 beim +?berpr++fen des bekannten Ordners {fdd39ad0-238f-46af-adb4-6c85480369c7} mit dem Pfad "\\\\spirit\\users\\tuser\\Eigene Dateien".

Which means in English:
quote:
Error 0x8007005 occured while checking known Folder {GUID} with path "\\\\spirit\\users\\tuser\\Eigene Dateien"

Have to say our home directories are redirected to a network location. I start the VSIX-file on a local hard drive but it seems it still wants to access the user-files directory. Maybe the installer has a problem with the network share or a blank in the name?
feline Posted - Apr 26 2010 : 4:26:58 PM
In theory no administrative privileges are required to install the VSIX file for VS2010, so something unexpected is happening here.

Thank you for this Nobodo, the event viewer might well offer some insight here.
Nobodo Posted - Apr 26 2010 : 1:27:09 PM
I have a comment here that might help:

The error code 80070005 usually means that you do not have enough permission to install requested COM updates, or to run a requested COM automation. You can usually view more information on the error after it occurs by looking in the Event Viewer, System events.

I have seen it before in places like (example) asp.net websites that are trying to do Excel automation, but the aspnet user does not have permissions to run Excel.exe. In that case, Dcomcnfg can come to the rescue. In your case, perhaps it's just elevated permissions needed for the user running the install (or 'run as administrator' on Vista or Win 7)?
feline Posted - Apr 26 2010 : 12:11:32 PM
Can you please download and run Process Monitor:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

when the program has loaded, can you go into "Filter menu -> Filter..." and add the filter rule:

Process Name - contains - vsixinstaller - then - Include

and then re-run the installer while Process Monitor is running, and monitoring your system. Hopefully this will give us some more details on where the access denied error came from. You should see some errors related to this near or at the bottom of the log.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000