Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 "Open file in solution" constantly parsing

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scottbilas Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 4:02:17 PM
I've been seeing a problem with #1822 in VS2010 that I haven't been able to get a solid repro case for.

The problem is that, after a certain amount of normal usage of VS and VAssist, the "Open File in Solution" dialog stops working. When I bring it up, its title shows as "Open File in Solution (Parsing...)" and the contents of the list box are empty.

Typing into the search box doesn't make any difference.

Restarting Visual Studio is the only way to resolve this problem. This has happened to me a few times today. Normal usage, everything is working fine, then suddenly it's stuck in this Parsing mode and I have to restart.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scottbilas Posted - Apr 28 2010 : 1:45:10 PM
That could be it. Like if I sync'd the depot and new csproj's or an updated sln came down, and then VS offered to reload it. Could be.. I'll pay more attention next time it happens to see if it's linked.
sean Posted - Apr 28 2010 : 1:41:27 PM
Does this occur after making some sort of solution or project setting change? The "Parsing..." title is basically just a default that means VA is waiting for a solution load event. So that makes it seem to me that an unload event (or reload?) might have occurred and the followup (or reload) didn't get handled properly.
scottbilas Posted - Apr 28 2010 : 1:32:50 PM
It's a C# and XAML project. Our solution contains 2263 files, so the unfiltered Open dialog shows [2263 or 2263]. This is an ordinary sln with a bunch of csproj's, some contained within Solution Folders. No makefiles. Though we are using an <Import> tag in each of our csprojs' to set up common options and reusable tasks among them.

99% of the time the Open dialog works great. I like how fast it is, which is why I will probably never switch to 2010's new ctrl-, open dialog (not to mention I prefer VAssist's way of separating files from symbols).

I have many extensions installed. I'm guessing you'll want me to try disabling them and see if the problem persists, but the problem is rare enough that I'd have to work without extensions all day, and that would be painful. Most extensions are adorners and small utilities, but the significant ones are CodeRush w/ Refactor Pro, PowerCommands for VS2010, and T4 Editor. It would be odd that these could collide with VAssist's Open dialog, and not with VS2010's ctrl-, dialog.

Perhaps the title bar saying "Parsing..." and never finishing is a clue as to what is wrong?

Note that this problem starts occurring well into a dev session, after VS has been open and in use for hours with no problems from VAssist.
feline Posted - Apr 28 2010 : 11:30:16 AM
What programming language are you working in?

When the dialog works, can you note down how many files your solution contains? The title bar shows two numbers, the first number is the number of files matching the current filter and the second number is the total number of files in the solution. This will give us a sense of scale.

Is this a makefile project, or are all of the files listed in Solution Explorer?

Do you have any other extensions installed?
scottbilas Posted - Apr 27 2010 : 4:03:27 PM
Note that the Find Symbol dialog still works fine. This is only the "Open File in Solution" dialog that is an issue.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000