Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Question about two items on refactoring dialog

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jase439 Posted - May 05 2010 : 11:48:16 PM
I do not understand the difference between these two options, the latter of which was introduced in 10.6:

[ ] Show icon to open refactoring menu when hovering
[ ] Automatically show icon for suggested refactorings

The tooltip help makes almost no distinction between these features. Can someone better explain?

Thanks!

J
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jun 03 2010 : 10:14:51 PM
The tooltip for Suggested Refactorings clarifies that it is a C++ only feature in build 1825.
jase439 Posted - May 13 2010 : 8:48:03 PM
Thank you for the informative follow up on this.
accord Posted - May 12 2010 : 03:48:11 AM
I've asked the developers about this and this is available only in C++ and this is by design, since you can use Visual Studio's variant of suggested refactorings in C#. The thin blue box indicates when refactorings are avaliable and hovering will show you the box which you can click on to get the menu.
jase439 Posted - May 10 2010 : 11:36:17 PM
I'd never seen that until now. So I guess the original problem remains then: no auto refactoring icon appears in C# projects in 1822.
accord Posted - May 10 2010 : 3:55:37 PM
quote:
It's like a thin blue box or line under the "G"

It is showed by Visual Studio (even placed with disabled Visual Assist) to indicate that refactorings are available.
jase439 Posted - May 07 2010 : 6:33:56 PM
I'm testing in 2008 SP1 and 2010 RTM.

In both IDE's, the refactor icon is displayed as expected for C++ projects. However, in C#, it only appears during a mouse hover. Curiously, upon closer inspection, something *is* being drawn where the chevron would be. It's like a thin blue box or line under the "G" in GetSomeValue. Clicking on it does nothing, however. If I hover the mouse here, the chevron will shortly appear (along with Visual Studio's - a phenomenon also unique to the C# editor).

Here's a screenshot:

accord Posted - May 07 2010 : 4:57:33 PM
Which version of Visual Studio are you using?
VS2005, 2008 and 2010 offers this refactoring so the icons of VS and VA would even overlap each other.

I've put in an improvement request for the tooptip to see what the developers make of it:

case=43785

Thank you for pointing this out.
jase439 Posted - May 06 2010 : 12:29:05 PM
Thank you for the quick reply.

I must be doing something wrong or misunderstanding the usage. I tried this in a C# project and entered:

int value = GetSomeValue(sqlReader); // sqlReader is a local variable in the current scope

I expected to get a refactoring chevron with an option to create the method. However, nothing appeared. I could, however, manually hover the mouse pointer back over "GetSomeValue" and the refactoring options were presented to me.

EDIT: I repeated the same test using a C++ project and the option to create the method automatically appeared. Is this functionality available only to C++ currently?
accord Posted - May 06 2010 : 03:50:34 AM
The first option is about the feature when you hover the mouse over a symbol.

The second one is about the feature which offers refactorings as you type.

You can find an example video of the latter in our download section under

What's New in Visual Assist X 10.6 -> Refactoring tips

Our download page:
http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000