Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Clone Results window bug.

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DanH Posted - Jul 02 2010 : 12:39:51 PM
I have been experiencing problems with the Cloned results windows after performing a Find References.

First, when the machine times out and I have to log back in windows that are not attached to the IDE are greyed out and cannot be closed directly. You can drag it, dock it then close it, but if you span multiple windows this triggers the known UI Crash built in to VS 20008.

Second, the windows that were docked are now undocked, and they are blank. You can close these directly but the next time you restart they reappear.

Third, and least frequent. After attempting to drag one of these windows the whole thing went into a never ending loop of popping open new empty clone windows, about 10 a second...

On a side note, (feature Request). It would be nice to have a "Find References in new window" task.

Additionally you will find that Microsofts UI is buggy at best. When you open a find references window while debugging the default behavior for VS is to close all of those and return to the Window layout that existed before debugging.

It would be nice to have the option of openeing a window that is distinct and seperate from the VS UI. This is easy enough to accomplish, and I currently have several tools that still allow me to jump to a particular file and line # inside the VS UI. The only thing lost would be the Dockability, and the Frequent Crashes, and the find results that are lost becuase they were asked for at a time when Microsoft felt they would not be important for very long.

Thanks,

Dan -

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Jul 05 2010 : 03:56:16 AM
At first let's focus on the cloned find refs. window problem which happens after Windows was locked (timeout): I wasn't able to reproduce the problem using Visual Studio 2008 SP1, Visual Assist 1827 and Windows XP SP3.

What Visual Assist and Windows version are you using?
Do you have SP1 applied to your Visual Studio?
What programming language are you using?
Is this only happening when you are debugging?
Do you use any other Visual Studio plugin?
How many monitors are you using? I am wondering if is this only happens when you are keep the undocked (floating) windows on your second monitor?
Is this happens when you keep just 1 window undocked?
Is this always reproducible for the first time?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000