Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Suggestion list is missing a lot of entries

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
.oisyn Posted - Jul 26 2010 : 12:14:23 PM
I'm seeing this in a project of ours. Somewhere I type the following:

Those are valid entries, but this is nowhere near the complete list, which consists of roughly 40 entries, all beginning with g_cdcScene_. But that's ok, since I assume this is a reduced list which definitions I'm most likely to use at that point.

So, I press ctrl-space. The list now shows this:

I'm flabbergasted. Where are all the variables I can use? The three from the previous list aren't even in there, and instead it shows a suggestion that doesn't even begin with the characters that I've typed.

I can't really reproduce this in an isolated case, but it is 100% reproducable in this particular case, even after restarting the IDE and updating to a newer VAX. I'm using VAX 1827 (above screenshots are made with 1810)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Sep 20 2010 : 10:16:00 PM
case=48025 is fixed in build 1832
accord Posted - Jul 30 2010 : 03:59:02 AM
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the very clear description.

case=48025
.oisyn Posted - Jul 28 2010 : 06:30:52 AM
Oh, as a matter of fact, the macros don't have anything to do with it.
int prefix_option4;
int prefix_option5;
int prefix_option6;

int main()
{
	prefix_
}

Same problem. Looks like ctrl-space isn't working in general for globals. If the variables are in a class or namespace, and you type Foo::prefix_ <ctrl-space>, it shows the variables correctly.

Also, without the namespace, if you type ::prefix_ it is also incorrect.

Within a namespace (without explicitely specifying the namespace) it works correctly as well:
namespace Test
{

int prefix_option4;
	int prefix_option5;
	int prefix_option6;

int main()
	{
		prefix_
	}
}

So the bug seems to be only applicable to symbols in the global namespace.
.oisyn Posted - Jul 28 2010 : 06:26:09 AM
I managed to produce an isolated testcase! :)

#if _DEBUG

template<class T>
class Option
{
public:
	void SomeMember();
};

#define OPTION_DECL(type, var, value)	\	extern Option<type> var; \	typedef type var##_type; \	static const type var##_value = value;

#else

#define OPTION_DECL(type, var, value) \	static const type var = value;

#endif

OPTION_DECL(int, prefix_option1, 1);
OPTION_DECL(int, prefix_option2, 2);
OPTION_DECL(int, prefix_option3, 3);

int main()
{
	prefix_
}

During the typing of prefix_ in main, it shows the list. Pressing ctrl-space will list other symbols nothing to do with those variables.

Contents from default intellisense is turned off, and I have taken the macro limit steps (the original code had nested macros, but as this example clearly shows that doesn't really matter)
accord Posted - Jul 27 2010 : 1:26:29 PM
Is the following option turned on or off?

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

Can you please post the source of such a macro? (which generates variable)

Have you turned off limitmacro by the following instructions?
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W363
.oisyn Posted - Jul 27 2010 : 06:26:45 AM
Up/down doesn't enlarge the list with other entries.
The funny thing is, VAX does recognize the other symbols. If I start typing one of them, it eventually suggests to complete it. But when it does, after pressing ctrl-space, even that suggestion is gone and it finds nothing.

.edit: hmm, perhaps a thing that's related to the issue: all those variables are defined by a macro rather than a normal C++ definition. And the expansion depends on the project setting - they are either defined as constants with basic types (int, bool) for final builds, or as class instances for debug and release builds.
accord Posted - Jul 26 2010 : 1:08:59 PM
This is odd. Ctrl+space should list all symbols, accessible from here. I tried this in some cases and worked. I'm wondering whether we could reproduce this problem, by placing thoose 40 symbols plus the erroneous symbol on the second screenshot to a new test project. The success should depend on what symbol names are available.

Update: forget to add but you can press up or down arrow to get more suggestions. Ctrl+space lists all symbols while up/down often results in more appropriate symbol names.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000