Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS2010: 1833 causes CPU spinning when entering tex

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dreijer Posted - Oct 09 2010 : 03:42:22 AM
I've been using VS2010 for several months now and have been pretty unhappy with the performance of the code editor. The editor seemed sort of sluggish compared to VS2008.

At first, I attributed this to the IntelliSense that runs in the background as you type, but even with that turned off the code editor seems somewhat sluggish.

Tonight, I happened to have Task Manager running while I was coding and I noticed the IDE's CPU usage went up dramatically whenever I started typing. In fact, holding down a single key like 'a' caused >50%, i.e. a full core on my dual core box, to be utilized. As soon as I let go of the key, the CPU dropped down to close to 0.

I just uninstalled 1833 and doing the same procedure as above results in CPU usage going up and down between 6-30%. This pretty clearly highlights an issue with VA and unfortunately it's making it harder for me to code.

PS: You guys also seem to be having some issues with the uninstaller. It opens two webpages with the questionnaires, and on my Windows 7 box I got an error box with an error code until I reran it with Recommended settings applied..
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Aug 25 2011 : 01:54:55 AM
case=48744 is fixed in build 1856
feline Posted - Dec 02 2010 : 4:22:38 PM
We are still looking, and trying to find the remaining problems, so they can be fixed.
GKarRacer Posted - Dec 01 2010 : 3:24:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by support

Editor typing performance improvement is case=51491, and is fixed in build 1836

I only wish that was the case. But, at least it's a known issue that they're still working on.
support Posted - Nov 12 2010 : 3:40:30 PM
Editor typing performance improvement is case=51491, and is fixed in build 1836
feline Posted - Nov 05 2010 : 5:16:34 PM
There have been occasional problems where anti-virus programs keep scanning VA's symbol database, and so cause performance problems for VA, since all the scanning of the symbol database place a significant overhead on it.

Are you easily able to exclude directories from being scanned by your AV program?
accord Posted - Nov 04 2010 : 3:57:26 PM
Yes, it seems your problem isn't related.
dreijer Posted - Nov 03 2010 : 3:59:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by accord

Virus killers can cause slowdowns, but fortunately it happens rarely. When it happens, however, putting the extension, that causes the slowdown, to the ignore list (i.e. *.cpp, *.h) should help.

Shouldn't that cause the AV process's CPU usage to spike rather than the IDE process?
accord Posted - Nov 03 2010 : 3:57:19 PM
Virus killers can cause slowdowns, but fortunately it happens rarely. When it happens, however, putting the extension, that causes the slowdown, to the ignore list (i.e. *.cpp, *.h) should help.
stefanvt Posted - Nov 02 2010 : 07:52:14 AM
I have the same problem in conjunction with the Microsoft Security Essentials installed and running.

Maybe this is a hint...
dreijer Posted - Oct 18 2010 : 7:24:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Do either of you have a large number of files open in the IDE? If there are several hundred open files then this might be a factor.

Closing all open files didn't make a difference.

quote:

Can you both please turn on VA logging, reproduce this slow down problem, and then turn off VA logging to stop the log files getting to large. Hopefully the logs will give us some clues as to the problem.

I've submitted a log (Case 51425) of me holding down the 'd' key and watching the CPU usage spike. Hope it helps.
GKarRacer Posted - Oct 18 2010 : 2:42:59 PM
OK, realized I forgot to save it without the heap. No wonder the dumps were so huge. I'll create some more first.
GKarRacer Posted - Oct 18 2010 : 2:36:40 PM
I've captured a few mini-dumps. So far, I've noticed that each time the main thread in VS is stopped in the VA function GetSymbolColor. It makes me wonder if turning off enhanced symbol coloring would return things to normal. But, I've gotten used to the symbol coloring...

Wow, these files are big (even zipped up). I'll be sending them shortly.
accord Posted - Oct 18 2010 : 1:30:29 PM
Thanks. I also meant a dump of an "extended not responding pause"
GKarRacer Posted - Oct 18 2010 : 1:14:20 PM
No, Z is a subst drive to a local path. I've found that VS generally doesn't play nice with network drives (even if mapped to a local share on the same machine). We use this logical drive so we can get consistent paths across all of our machines.

Just to be clear, I don't mean crash when I say "hang" in this case. It's just an extended not responding pause, but it does come back. I'll still generate a mini-dump for a similar case next time, though.
accord Posted - Oct 18 2010 : 12:39:04 PM
Is Z: a network drive?

Can you please save out a mini-dump file of the hang and send us?

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W303
GKarRacer Posted - Oct 15 2010 : 1:33:46 PM
Sent a log. Actions performed in the log:
  • Selected one line
  • Deleted the line (pressed Del key)
  • Hit down arrow approximately 4-5 times and then VS/VA stopped for a coffee break mid-typing.

There were a few files open (approximately 17) at the time.

A couple notes:
None of the source files are very long, but they can include a lot of headers (at least indirectly). The project does use boost, so that may be a contributing factor.

I can generate log files if needed.

One more note:
I noticed that the dialog box for the log file showed an incorrect path. It still generated the file correctly, though.

C:\\Users\\Username\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\/va.log

Notice the '/' in front of va.log after "Temp\\". Since slashes are not valid characters in the path, that message is clearly incorrect. At least it's just cosmetic.
feline Posted - Oct 15 2010 : 12:23:50 PM
Do either of you have a large number of files open in the IDE? If there are several hundred open files then this might be a factor.

Can you both please turn on VA logging, reproduce this slow down problem, and then turn off VA logging to stop the log files getting to large. Hopefully the logs will give us some clues as to the problem.

Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
GKarRacer Posted - Oct 14 2010 : 3:28:58 PM
One quick note: Although I thought that no message is displayed in the status bar and only "Ready" shows, I've noticed that at the very end of the pause when VS is about to wake up again, some message is flashed on the status bar. It goes back to "Ready" to fast to see what it is though.
GKarRacer Posted - Oct 14 2010 : 3:27:07 PM
I'm seeing the same thing. It's starting to get quite annoying. Typing simple things (even editing comments) causes VS2010 to freeze for an extended period of time. Disable VA and everything goes back to normal (except without the fancy formatting/editing).

It's sporadic, but happens quite often. Right in the middle of typing VS will just freeze. After a couple of seconds the wait cursor will appear. Then the "Not responding" is added to the title bar (via Win7). About 15-20 seconds later, VS wakes up again. There isn't any message displayed in the status bar. It only shows "Ready".

I thought there was supposed to be a 2 second wait until typing is complete to start VA activity?

My best guess is that it is taking an absurd amount of time to build that symbol drop down list. This list can be quite helpful, but I'd rather that it waited until I paused before trying to show the list. If I'm in the middle of typing, I'm not going to paying attention to any drop down.
dreijer Posted - Oct 14 2010 : 12:36:41 PM
quote:

dreijer are you seeing this CPU usage problem all of the time? It sounds like you are. Can you try the VA menu option:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

and see what effect disabling VA has on this?

With VAX disabled and holding down a key: ~5-10 CPU.
With VAX enabled and holding down a key: ~25-30 CPU.

quote:

Can you also try adding ".cs;" or ".cpp;" to:

I added an exception for .cpp files and then closed my test file and reopened it. Holding down a key at this time caused ~5-10 CPU usage, which is what I saw with VAX disabled.
Michal Puczynski Posted - Oct 14 2010 : 10:36:58 AM
feline, I meant "VA X: Sorting..." . I noticed no much difference after disabling feacp.dll it still hangs spinning. The scenario seems simple, but it does not always happen:
1) build an application
2) start debugging
3) do some analysis which includes breakpoints and the tested application stops
4) when it is paused, try to edit a file, most probably it is important that previously the application had focus and while you try to edit you steel the focus from paused application
5) after clicking with mouse on the edit window (if it is not yet hanged) type a character
**) at this point with some luck it should be hanging
feline Posted - Oct 13 2010 : 12:25:47 PM
dreijer are you seeing this CPU usage problem all of the time? It sounds like you are. Can you try the VA menu option:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

and see what effect disabling VA has on this?

Can you also try adding ".cs;" or ".cpp;" to:

VA Options -> Projects -> File Handling -> Extensions to ignore

and then re-loading one of the code files where you have seen the problem, and see if this makes any difference?

It will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the problem.
kevinsikes Posted - Oct 11 2010 : 9:49:45 PM
The issue with multiple uninstall surveys appearing is:

case=48744
dreijer Posted - Oct 11 2010 : 2:03:15 PM
quote:

Are you seeing these performance problems in all code files, or only in some code files?

So far I've seen it in the C++, C# and XAML code editors.

quote:

VA can cause high CPU usage when typing in a very large code file, my test file for this problem is a cpp file with 23,000 lines of code in it. Normal sized code files should not produce anything like this sort of CPU usage.

I see this for all sizes of source files. I just tested in a file with 60 lines and another with 1700 lines.

quote:

dreijer I am not seeing any odd behaviour when uninstalling VA 1833 on a Windows 7 32bit machine. I get one browser window, to ask about why I did the uninstall, and the uninstaller reported success. Were you logged in as an administrator when you ran the uninstaller?

I'm not sure what you mean. You have to run as an administrative user to uninstall programs, i.e. you'll get the UAC prompt.
feline Posted - Oct 11 2010 : 1:03:53 PM
Are you seeing these performance problems in all code files, or only in some code files?

VA can cause high CPU usage when typing in a very large code file, my test file for this problem is a cpp file with 23,000 lines of code in it. Normal sized code files should not produce anything like this sort of CPU usage.

dreijer I am not seeing any odd behaviour when uninstalling VA 1833 on a Windows 7 32bit machine. I get one browser window, to ask about why I did the uninstall, and the uninstaller reported success. Were you logged in as an administrator when you ran the uninstaller?

Michal status bar messages from VA should have "VA X:" at the start of them, so that you can tell VA messages apart from IDE messages. I am not used to seeing VA produce the status bar message "Sorting..." on its own. When doing a VA symbol database rebuild I do get the message "VA X: Sorting...", but only briefly, and not when editing.
Michal Puczynski Posted - Oct 11 2010 : 11:30:01 AM
I have the same issue on VC++ 2003. I had to rollback to 1829 which solves the problem.
Currently I am running both VA and Incredibuild, so I am not fully sure what is causing the problem, but I point the finger on VA because the IDE stopped several times eating up the whole core while the status bar was showing "Sorting..." message. The problem pops up when switching between windows (from some application to IDE).

----

Wrong. 1829 has the same issue. I've killed feacp.dll because the bottom of thread that its up the CPU has it. Will observe it for a period of time.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000