Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Suggestion box not appearing VS2008

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cbranch Posted - Dec 21 2010 : 3:52:15 PM
Greetings,

I recently upgrade from VS2003 to VS2008 and have seen some significant differences in the behavior of Visual Assist (build 1837) with the exact same source project.

1) I had to disable 'Get content from default Intellisense' as it frequently failed to parse my files. Also I noticed that when it was enabled I was not getting a VAX dialog (with the transparent tomatoes) but what I believe must have been the std VS one.

2) I now do not get suggestion boxes when typing some basic characters. I must hit ctrl+space to get a completion box.

Example:

struct Foo
{
   static int smem;
   int mem;
};

void complete1()
{
   Foo f;
   f.
}

void complete2()
{
   Foo::
}

In both complete1 and complete2 when I start type the line I do get a suggestion box for (f and Foo). However after I type the period or the second colon, nothing. It would expect that a suggestion box or the full completion box should appear automatically (as it did in VS2003). It does not, any suggestions?

Thank You
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Dec 23 2010 : 12:24:18 PM
To other readers: "Auto list members" (a Visual Studio setting) was somehow unchecked, turning it back on has helped.
accord Posted - Dec 22 2010 : 4:27:32 PM
I got your VA settings, thank you. Replied via email.
accord Posted - Dec 21 2010 : 5:07:00 PM
1.) Tomato icon means that the symbol is provided by Visual Assist. Get content from default Intellisense means VA gets the content from default (=Visual Studio) intellisense. So this is why you don't see the icons with this option enabled. This option should be turned on only when you prefer VS's parser over Visual Assist parser for populating the listboxes.

2.) I wasn't able to reproduce your problem. Can you please try rebuilding your symbol databases?

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

If it doesn't help, Visual Assist may have problems parsing your project. Can you please create a new win32 project and paste your example code snippet there to see if it makes any difference?

If you are still seeing the same effect in a clean test project, can you please export your VS and Visual Assist settings?

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

so I can import them here to see if I can reproduce the problem here. You can send the via the following form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please include the URL of this topic so we can match it up.

However, I think it will work in a test project. When you press ctrl+space, VA tries to get the info from VS intellisense, so the fact it works after ctrl+space suggests that VA is having problems parsing your source.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000