Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1840 - implement interface not available

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Michal Puczynski Posted - Jan 28 2011 : 03:10:44 AM
Hi,

What are the prerequisites for availability of this method in the refactoring menu? I am not able to "activate" that functions although I have a code with numerous classes derived from others with pure virtual methods. The code is C++ unmanaged under visual C++ 2003.
I even tried simple dummy code with two classes and some abstract methods, but the "implement interface" is alway gray does not matter where I put the caret or mouse cursor.

I also tried that in VC++ 2008 with the same result.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Feb 04 2011 : 3:51:20 PM
Yes, that makes sense. Many refactor commands are not available on code in system directories.

If you can't use project settings for "Additional Include Directories", then you might have some success using a Custom platform in the VA Options dialog (Projects | C/C++ Directories). Put crt/mfc directories (if applicable) in the "Stable include files" list and then your shared source in the "Other include files" list.
Michal Puczynski Posted - Feb 04 2011 : 05:23:14 AM
It seems more problematic. I have all the include folders under "include files". The solution I am working on shares the code. As a result almost all symbols are in italic. The header I am putting the code into lies under one of those folders.
From what I understand, I am modifying "rarely changing code". But, rebuilding the symbols database does not help also "reparse current file" is not helping.

Does it make sense according to what I am experiencing?
I have feacp.dll removed, so intellisense shall not be the factor.
feline Posted - Feb 03 2011 : 1:13:27 PM
Are the DirectX SDK header files in one of VA's stable include directories?

If you have turned on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Stable symbols in Italic

are symbols from this SDK shown in italics?

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/directories.asp

VA should only rarely re-parse header files in the stable include directories, so assuming the SDK is in the stable includes, I am wondering if the IDE's intellisense parser could be a factor here.

Can you try closing the IDE and adding a pair of zero length read only .NCB files, as described here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

this should disable the IDE's intellisense parser, removing one variable.
Michal Puczynski Posted - Feb 03 2011 : 03:01:31 AM
Yes, as I wrote in my previous post, it is available immediately.

The particular header I pasted the code into is not that big, it has 550 lines, the corresponding cpp file has 5000 lines. Both however include quite a lot from DirectX SDK. After precompiler, the output code has 500k lines (6MB).
feline Posted - Feb 02 2011 : 1:37:43 PM
15 seconds is a long time! How many lines are there in this code file? I am wondering why parsing is taking so long.

If you open a new, blank .h file in your solution, and add my test code to it, is implement interface available?
Michal Puczynski Posted - Feb 02 2011 : 04:13:57 AM
Hi,
I pasted your code into my header. At first shot the symbols were unrecognized, all but test_method. After a while ~15 secs, the screen refreshed and all become recognized. The VA find references is offered on all symbols around that code including implemented and not implemented methods and class names. The implement interface is not offered at all.
Then I pasted that code into newly created project. The implement interface was immediately available.
feline Posted - Feb 01 2011 : 2:26:32 PM
Do you mean that implement interface is Not offered on my sample code in your main solution?

Here is a second test, I have added a second virtual function, but this time it has been implemented:

class CFeline9972Base
{
	CFeline9972Base();
	virtual ~CFeline9972Base();

virtual void test_method(int y) = 0;
	virtual void actually_implemented(int z) = 0;
};

class CFeline9972Derived: public CFeline9972Base
{
	virtual void actually_implemented( int z )	{ }
};

Is VA's Find References offered on "actually_implemented" in either class? If it is offered, does it find both references, so is VA scanning the parent or child class correctly?

Since the code is compiling, I am guessing this is either something inside a #if 0 #endif block, or something to do with macro's that is confusing our parser. Normally though these problems are file specific, sometimes triggered by a #include line, so a blank file would not have these problems.
sean Posted - Feb 01 2011 : 11:58:07 AM
Does your CClassBase / CClassDerived code work in another file within your solution? That is, is the problem with a specific set of files within your solution?
Michal Puczynski Posted - Jan 31 2011 : 12:02:32 PM
The result is exactly the same as in my test.

What can be wrong with my code if compiler is not complaining?
Do you have an idea how to find that?
feline Posted - Jan 31 2011 : 11:26:39 AM
At a guess there is something in the file confusing VA's parser, or VA recognises these class names from somewhere else in your solution, and the duplicate class names are causing confusion.

Can you try this code instead please:

class CFeline9972Base
{
CFeline9972Base();
virtual ~CFeline9972Base();

virtual test_method(int y) = 0;
};

class CFeline9972Derived: public CFeline9972Base
{

};

these should be unique class names in your solution. If you still get the problem can you open a new, empty .h file in the main solution and run the test there?

I am wondering if some of the code in your existing files is a factor, somehow.
Michal Puczynski Posted - Jan 31 2011 : 08:51:27 AM
OK, so I wrote:

class CClassBase
{
CClassBase();
virtual ~CClassBase();

virtual test_method(int y) = 0;
};

class CClassDerived: public CClassBase
{

};

and trying to with right-click menu on CClassDerived, CClassBase and the "Implement interface" is not available either.
What am I doing wrong?

PS. Maybe that is worth mentioning: The above code I've put into other header that belongs to a huge project....

Then, I made experiment with simple just opened project (MFC console application), and IT WORKS!

So, it seems problem is somewhere within symbol database generated by VA. Clearing it does not help....
sean Posted - Jan 28 2011 : 11:23:21 AM
In the following example, the command should be available on both Derived and Base (only in the declaration of Derived):

class Derived : public Base
{
}

If that doesn't help, then we'll need to see the declaration of Base.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000