Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Color coded variables based on scope

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
aureis Posted - Mar 16 2011 : 11:34:37 AM
Does anyone know of any plans for VA to support allowing the user to define different colors for variables of different scope. By scope I mean typically where the variable resides; globally, member to a class, local to a function, member static, global static etc...

This would be incredibly beneficial since the alternative is to have the user handle this using mechanisms like hungarian notation (e.g. g_, m_, s_)

Thanks!

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 30 2011 : 11:34:33 AM
We are constantly working to improve VA, in many different areas. Different people have different priorities, depending on their work style, and what they are doing.

We try to make VA more useful and powerful for everyone, but deciding which feature to work on next is not always easy. Hopefully you do find some of the new features we are adding to VA helpful.
sldev Posted - Mar 29 2011 : 5:13:45 PM
Well, I think it's a good idea, that should be implemented ASAP. The whole idea for an outline is to get a birds-eye view of a class. Sure, I can just hover over each method to see it's scope, but isnt' the point of paying extra for something like VA to save time and aggravation? Even if in multiple, small increments?
feline Posted - Mar 29 2011 : 1:27:53 PM
We are considering adding icons to the items in VA Outline to show their scope:

case=5755

But currently this is just an idea, and I don't have any estimate for when it will be done, if it is ever done.
sldev Posted - Mar 29 2011 : 12:58:20 PM
What about using different icons for public scope, vs. private scope of methods (e.g., in VA Outline)?
feline Posted - Mar 16 2011 : 11:13:11 PM
Unfortunately we don't have any current plans to try and do this. One reason is that our colouring code has to run very quickly, to keep up with scrolling and editing, and asking it to do to much can cause problems.

I assume you are familiar with the VA option:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Local symbols in Bold

but even this can run into problems with edge cases. Placing the caret into the symbol will show you information about it in VA's context and definition fields, normally at the top of the editor, which should help you to understand what it is.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000