Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Snippets: default values for user input

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fspafford Posted - Apr 25 2011 : 11:37:32 AM
I would like to supply a list of default values for a user input, from which the user selects one value to use with a drop down list.

Please consider this enhancement.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Apr 26 2011 : 10:01:39 PM
We've been talking about this internally and feline had a good idea about this: you can create more VA snippets with the same "Shortcut" field, but with different "Title". This way, you can create more snippets for the same keyword, so practically you can specify a list which you can use to create more quasi-default values, or even "pre-selected" values for the variable. Hope this makes sense.

This doesn't allow you to use combinations, though. (e.g. two different "user input" variables with two different default value-list). However, maybe you can utilize this specific behavior of VA snippets to enhance your workflow.
accord Posted - Apr 26 2011 : 7:49:16 PM
OK, now I clearly understand the request.
However, I am wondering how many user would actually use this.
Out of interest, what kind of values would you list here?
My concern is that if you specify enum items, it won't be automatically updated when the code changes, and it may lead to confusing or annoying moments. (e.g. Some company use snippets shared with all programmers.)
fspafford Posted - Apr 25 2011 : 4:17:13 PM
Sorry my question was not clear. I was talking about this feature:
------------
VA Snippets - Visual Assist X
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vasnippets.asp
"To specify default values for user input, use an equals sign immediately after the user variable name, followed by the default value, then the closing dollar sign. Do not add spaces or quotes. If the variable appears more than once in the snippet, provide the default value in the rightmost invocation of the variable. "
------------
This is where I wanted the ability to use a list of values.
accord Posted - Apr 25 2011 : 3:39:53 PM
*ah* and we already have a feature to "define a set of Smart Suggestions to use when assigning or comparing built-in or user-defined types."

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/smartSuggestions.asp#SuggestionsForType
accord Posted - Apr 25 2011 : 1:52:41 PM
I'm not sure that I understood what you are asking, so as a simplified example:

class cClass1
{
int Apple;
int Mango;
int Pearl;
int Banana;
int Orange;
};

So you would like to see an option to list only certain items, specified somewhere, so you type

cClass1 obj;
obj.

and get Mango, Banana and Orange, for example? Is this what you are after?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000