Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Visual Assist is freezing VS for short time

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rryk Posted - Jul 24 2011 : 10:55:34 AM
Whenever I change the source file that I am editing or scroll to distant location in the same file (usually by clicking on the scroll bar), VA freezes Visual Studio for a short time. On a fresh Windows install it only takes about 1-2 seconds, but the more I use VA and Visual Studio, the longer becomes this freezing period sometimes reaching up to 20-30 seconds.

The project that I am working on it huge. It contains about 42000 source and header files and takes 1-2 hours hours to parse (Visual Assist X and IntelliSense at the same time). Is it possible to decrease the time when switching/scrolling? Is it intended behavior or is it a bug?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 19 2011 : 12:40:21 PM
Personally I am not sure how VA loads the symbol database, but the option:

VA Options -> Performance -> Keep symbols in memory for fast response after Alt+Tab

suggests that VA does not automatically try to keep everything in memory, so logically some loading on demand must occur when this option is turned off.

3.8 million lines of code is certainly a large solution I don't have an official definition of massive, but this is one of the bigger numbers I have seen reported.

Do you have a second physical hard drive in your computer? If so moving VA's symbol database onto this hard drive may help with access speed, since VA will no longer competing with Windows for access to the boot hard drive.

This FAQ entry explains how to do this:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W332

Even if you can do this, these pauses should be looked at. Having some idea of the problem certainly helps, thank you for this. Can you please install VA 1862 first:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

since running the latest version makes log files easier to work with, then if you are still seeing the problem, turn on VA logging, reproduce a couple of pauses, then close the IDE to stop the log files growing any larger, and then send me the log files. Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
rryk Posted - Dec 17 2011 : 12:22:37 AM
I have it on. I believe the problem is not with the parsing, but rather with loading the data from the disk. Not sure whether 3.8 million lines of C/C++ code ranks as a massive solution, but it is certainly big. :)

Does VA load entire symbol database into memory when loading the solution or loads it partially on demand?
feline Posted - Dec 05 2011 : 4:24:59 PM
Do you have:

VA Options -> Performance -> Parse all files when opening a project

turned On or Off? I am guessing off given this description. If so, what effect does turning this on? Unless you have a really massive solution this should only slow down opening the solution by a minute or so when you first load the IDE, normally less.
rryk Posted - Dec 02 2011 : 1:44:35 PM
Didn't help. The problem is that it only happens when I open the file for the first time and not after I return to it or even just open again (within one session). My guess is that when I open the file for the first time it hangs when loading symbol information (to color identifiers appropriately). I often work with 50-70 source files at one session and that kills about 10-15 minutes of my time. Apparently the effect gets less noticeable by the end of the day - probably because most of the symbols are already in memory and only a few need to be loaded for new files.
feline Posted - Nov 28 2011 : 11:08:45 AM
A little unexpected, thank you for the update. VA's syntax highlighting code is designed to try and run very quickly, to keep up with you, and not slow you down. If you want to try turning this on again you could try turning on:

VA Options -> Performance -> Keep symbols in memory for fast response after Alt+Tab
rryk Posted - Nov 28 2011 : 10:25:59 AM
Apparently the problem was syntax coloring after all. I have disabled it few months ago and since then I had no problems.
feline Posted - Jul 26 2011 : 1:28:36 PM
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

If you are not already using VA 1854 can you please try upgrading to this version. It includes some changes to make better use of multiple CPU cores while parsing, which should help you, given the size of your solution, assuming you have more than one CPU core on your system.

If you run a CPU monitor, e.g. Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

are you seeing the CPU usage max out on a single core when these pauses occur?

I have tried a solution with 8,900 files and 179,000 symbols in VS2008 with VA 1854, and I am not seeing any signs of slow downs or delays like this. I am currently downloading the source code for the Chrome browser, which sounds like it will provide a rather large test solution.
rryk Posted - Jul 26 2011 : 03:49:20 AM
I am programming in C++. Individual files that I am using are not large, but the entire codebase is huge. For instance right now I am working with a file that is only 153 lines long. When I first opened it, it took about 5-10 seconds before I was able to use IDE again. Visually it looks like VA is freezing it as enhanced syntax coloring of the code only appears after these 5-10 seconds. Also whenever I disable VA from the registry (HKLM/Software/Wow6432Node/Microsoft/VisualStudio/9.0/Addins/VAssistNET.Connect9/,LoadBehavior=0), it stops freezing.

Even after the file is opened, immediately after scrolling it down it freezes again for another 1-2 seconds and keeps on freezing for parts of the file that have not been displayed yet. Given that I will scroll through entire file it will stop freezing on scrolling (probably it caches certain information that is being built for each line of the file that is displayed). Should I switch to another file it does not freeze again on open, but still freezes on scrolling.

Edit: Tried disabling enhanced syntax coloring. The IDE is still freezing. I have not tried restarting the IDE after disabling enhanced syntax coloring.
feline Posted - Jul 25 2011 : 11:19:36 AM
Are you seeing this freezing in all code files, or only in some code files?
Which programming language are you working in?

VA can become a bit slow in very large code files, e.g. I have a 23,000 line .cpp code file that is slow, but even so I never get a 20 second delay!

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000