Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 GoTo Implementation with code snippets

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bogdanc Posted - Oct 06 2011 : 11:54:47 AM
The following is my workflow 99% of the time:

1. Alt+G on a function.
2. Select the implementation file from the popup list.
3. Jump there.
4. Have a look at the function.
5. Go back to where I was using Navigate Backwards (Ctrl+-).

Step 5 is very important because if I use my keyboard to navigate in that function, I'll have to press Ctrl+- multiple times and check visually if it jumps to the starting point. Same thing happens if I use a bookmark before jumping to the implementation, because multiple bookmarks means visually checking your position while jumping with Next and Prev bookmark buttons. AFAIK there isn't a GoToLastBookmark.

So I have to press like minimum 5 keys (Alt+G, CR, Ctrl+-) to only have a look at a function. I hate it knowing that all I want to do is to see a quick preview of that function body.

It would be awesome if there would be something like a PreviewFunction 1 key button. I want to press one single button while over a function name, and have a popup (a window and a richedit control) at the cursor position displaying the function body (with syntax highlighting and focus inside the control). Pressing ESC will close it and return focus to the original place.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Oct 06 2011 : 6:01:50 PM
Have you tried code definition window? It automatically shows the function body in a separate window:

View -> Code Definition Window

You can dock it or drag to an other monitor so it don't get in the way.

An another suggestion is to try Visual Assist's navigate back feature because it uses different algorith and it seems to do the job in fewer steps, generally. It is the right arrow on VA toolbar or you can bind it to a key sortcut you like. The name of this command is VAssistX.NavigateBack

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000