Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Language specific VAX features

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mwh Posted - Nov 02 2011 : 04:18:24 AM
Hello,

I am using VAX mostly for VC++, since the native VS support is very bad. For C#, however, it is much, much better and I got very used to the native features of VS for this language. So usually, I turned VAX off for .cs files. But I noticed, that I got used to some VAX features in C++, that have no native equivalent in C#, for example the "VA Outline" window.

I was wondering if it is planed in future releases to turn on or off certain features for certain languages (or file types).
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Nov 03 2011 : 07:10:48 AM
Two suggestion listboxes in parallel must be a bug. What Visual Studio and Visual Assist versions are you using? Is it something that you only see when you work with C++ files?

Our "quick config" part of the options dialog is an attempt to reduce the complexity for those who don't want to bother with a more complex option dialog.

About getting more in C++: this is an interesting suggestion. First, we should separate proactive and passive VA behaviors. Proactive features like listboxes should work the way as default Visual Studio works. Anything that is differing from this is probably a bug and should be fixed. Passive features like refactoring, VA Outline, Open File in Solution, Find Symbol, Find References, etc. won't get into your way since you actively ask VA to do something. Does this make sense?
mwh Posted - Nov 03 2011 : 03:13:26 AM
Thanx for your answers so far.

For C# files some features do not simply add to or exchange the native VS behavior. Intellisense is a good example I think. With VA turned on I often get two list boxes containing suggestions, one from the IDE and one from VA. That may not be wrong but it does not support the way I am working and writing code. A tool should be made in a way that it supports me in my work and not "force" me to change the way I am working, so that I can use the tool properly.

And honestly, a complex VA Options dialog is hardly an argument. After all you can expect the people who use VA to be experts. And if you are not sure about this, you can always have a simple options dialog with a checkbox (or whatever) to turn on and off expert settings.

To make the intention behind my question more clear, I am working on both, C++ and C# projects and the degree of support that I would like to get from VA is different for both kinds of propjects. Yes, I can configure VA in a way that it (almost) fits into the VS features for C# projects, but when I switch to C++ projects, I have to reconfigure VA again to get more and/or other features.
accord Posted - Nov 02 2011 : 4:49:02 PM
I'm wondering would you need this. I mean, normally you should be able to keep VA alive without any side effects and to turn off features without disabling parts completely.

Do you see any side effects when using VA with C#? VA should be utterly consistent with default Visual Studio behavior so you should see
- similar behavior
- all default features
- additional improvements
- without any additional lag or noticeable speed impact

You may want a feature or two to be turned off, but that should be enough.
Do you see any way we could make VA more "transparent"? So you wouldn't necessarily want to turn it off.
feline Posted - Nov 02 2011 : 11:45:48 AM
VA Outline does support multiple languages. I have just had VA Outline show me an outline for .cpp, .h, .cs, .vb, .htm and .html files.

If you have added .cs to

VA Options -> Projects -> File Handling -> Extensions to ignore

then VA Outline, and other VA features, will be disabled in C# files.

Currently we are not planning on enabling and disabling VA features on a language by language basis, since this would quickly make the VA Options dialog very complex.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000