Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 "work set" or "mental context"

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hajokirchhoff Posted - Nov 25 2011 : 05:14:35 AM
Expanding on my idea of "collapse all":

When I work with any code, the "mental context" is very important to me. It is relatively stable for any given task, but I switch between tasks very frequently. Problem is, the IDE does not follow my context.

Example: I am working on feature A, which is implemented in four files A1, A2, A3 and A4. While working on A I encounter problem B. I need to fix B before I can continue.

What usually happens with the Visual Studio IDE is that I end up with 12 or 15 open documents. The time to find the correct document takes ever longer until I finally close all documents (except the current) and then use find reference et al to open the relevant files again.

I really would like a feature "mental context/bookmark". Basically it's just save/recall of the current view, but it should include every detail: the current cursor position, tab/document ordering, VA outline selection, even the currently displayed tool tab.

I would like to work as follows: I'm working on feature A. After a while I have all files open that interest me. I choose "create mental context marker". The entire layout is stored in an unnamed marker like a very advanced bookmark. If I desire I can give it a name, for example "Workset Feature A". There is also a list of these markers and they need to be persistent.

After some more time I encounter Problem B, which I need to fix first. I select "push context". This creates another unnamed "mental marker". I fix Problem B. The IDE gets cluttered. I am finished, I select "pop context" and I am right back at the point where I discovered Problem B. I can continue working on feature A.

The important point here is that these "mental context" or "advanced bookmarks" really have to store everything. Sort of "hibernate" the IDE. Much like a transaction rollback point of a database. When I restore this context, the IDE should load the exact state of that context.

It is not enough to simply open the documents. The exact cursor locations and even the exact scrollposition of all documents, all expand/collapse info need to be restored. It should be as if I put the PC in standby at that time and then choose resume.

I am a very visual person. My mental context is directly related to what I see on the screen. So restoring the exact view helps me switch context between the features.

A feature like this would take a huge burden off my work. Just as with multitasking OS, a "mental context" switch is tiring and takes quite a lot of energy.

Thanks

Hajo
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hajokirchhoff Posted - Nov 30 2011 : 03:09:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by accord

Let me be honest: the idea is good, but I think that such a feature couldn't be done reliable. APIs can do a lot in theory with the IDE but I don't think it would work in every case.

Even restoring the documents that where open at the time (closing all others) and restoring the 'current line' properties would be helpful. Hm, I could probably write a macro doing that...

quote:

What do you think about opening a new IDE?

Too much of a hassle. The important point for me is that I can set a 'recall point' and continue working from there. If I open a new IDE, I will have to load up all documents again and find the position I am working at.

Thanks

Hajo
accord Posted - Nov 29 2011 : 5:53:41 PM
Let me be honest: the idea is good, but I think that such a feature couldn't be done reliable. APIs can do a lot in theory with the IDE but I don't think it would work in every case.

What do you think about opening a new IDE? (e.g. middle click on the task bar in Windows 7) This way you store the exact state and moreover you can go back extremely fast. If you keep the second IDE open, the switch can be very fast in both ways and you can use "close all window" when you need your secondary IDE again.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000