Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Continue // and /** comments after a return

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rryk Posted - Nov 28 2011 : 06:32:31 AM
A nice feature of Eclipse is that one can start a comment, type a text that spans over several lines and yet avoid typing "// " or " * " before each line. It works as following:

1. Start a new line with a comment like "// " or "/** ".
2. Type until the end of the line and hit return key.
3. The IDE will start a new line with "// " or " * " and an appropriate indent before it to match previous line.

As a result this looks as following (X denotes the position of the next character that will be typed after hitting return key):

class Foo {
{
    // This function does nothing really useful, but it has a
    // stupid useless comment above it that is only designed
    // to be very-very-very-very-very long and span over several 
    // X
    const char * bar() { return "foo"; }

or

class Foo {
{
    /** 
     * This function does nothing really useful, but it has a
     * stupid useless comment above it that is only designed
     * to be very-very-very-very-very long and span over several
     * X
    const char * bar() { return "foo"; }

These are only two comment styles that I am using and IMHO the most popular ones. However, one can add support for more styles into the VAX. Also I believe this feature should be configurable, i.e. one should be able to switch it off (or select only some styles that it should be enabled for).
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 19 2011 : 12:17:13 PM
The delay with larger solutions sounds like VA is still parsing the solution. But this does not explain why you can never turn on highlight current line in a large solution. Parsing should finish eventually.

How large are your test solutions? Using winXP, VS2008 and VA 1862 I have opened a solution based on some firefox source code. OFIW reports that this solution contains 8,891 files. VA parsed this code in about 3 minutes on a dual core machine.

While the IDE was still parsing I was able to turn on and off VA's highlight current line option.

Extending multi-line comments is working for me in this large solution. As noted in the documentation for this feature:

quote:
Only comments that already span at least two lines are auto-extended.

Which OS and IDE are you using?
Does extending multi-line comments work for you in the tiny and average sized solutions?
rryk Posted - Dec 17 2011 : 12:33:56 AM
Changing options works - I was able to see dotted box around the current line. I have noticed that it doesn't work at all in a large solution (many thousands of files), has started working after about a minute on an average-sized solution (few hundreds of files) and works immediately on a tiny solution (few files).
feline Posted - Dec 05 2011 : 5:10:10 PM
This is working correctly for me with VA 1859 in VS2005, VS2008 and VS2010. I have tested all three IDE's with a .cpp file, running under winXP SP3.

Are you able to turn other VA options on and off, and see VA's behaviour actually change?

For example, does turning:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Highlight current line

on and off have an effect?

Can you post an example of the comment blocks you are working with, where this is not working? I am wondering if there is something about your comments or files that is confusing VA.
rryk Posted - Dec 02 2011 : 1:47:04 PM
Hmm... looks like the feature is there, but it doesn't work for me. I have enabled it in the options, disabled/enabled VAX, even tried to reload Visual Studio - it still doesn't extend my comments. I am using version 10.6.1859.0 built 2011.10.02 which seems to be the most recent.
feline Posted - Nov 28 2011 : 11:02:00 AM
VA recently added this feature:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/autoExtendComments.asp

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000