Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Advanced Semantic Colorization

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DesertDragon Posted - Jan 04 2012 : 07:07:24 AM
There is a big problem with performance in VS 2011 with integrated Intellisence Semantic Colorization enabled.
Frequent friezes is annoying. But it so useful.

Do you have any plan for implementing such advanced colorization in Visual Assist?

The VS 2011 has separate settings for this:

C++ Class Templates
C++ Enumerators
C++ Events
C++ Fields
C++ Function Templates
C++ Functions
C++ Labels
C++ Local Variables
C++ Macros
C++ Member Functions
C++ Namespaces
C++ Parameters
C++ Properties
C++ Static Fields
C++ Static Member Functions
C++ User Types
C++ User Types (Generic Types)
C++ User Types (Reference Types)
C++ Variables
C/C++ User Kerwords

but Visual Assist has only:

Classes, structures and typedefs
Variables
Preprocessor macros
Methods
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jlangr Posted - Feb 03 2012 : 10:06:17 AM
Thanks feline for the tip--that's certainly better than before!
feline Posted - Feb 02 2012 : 11:34:39 PM
I know it is not the same, but turning on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Local symbols in Bold

makes quite a bit of difference when it comes to working out the difference between member and local variables.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/bold.asp
jlangr Posted - Feb 02 2012 : 6:28:10 PM
I had the opportunity to work with VA while at a customer site. A very nice product, and I understand that there's a lot of complexity with C++ that makes things difficult.

The ability to distinguish between variable types is extremely valuable, once you've been accustomed to it--it's very valuable to know whether something is a member variable or not. Highlighting all variables the same color doesn't add nearly as much value, and relegates us to continuing to use prefixes (e.g. mFieldName).

Thanks for a good product, but add my vote to the ability to distinguish variable types.
feline Posted - Jan 16 2012 : 12:52:49 PM
I assume you are talking about function calls like "LoadAccelerators()", where Alt-g offers me "LoadAcceleratorsA" and "LoadAcceleratorsW".

VA is deliberately colouring these macros as functions, since they are supposed to be treated as a function, not a macro.

I am not that experienced with Unicode on vs off, but I would expect that the effects could quite easily show up in a "normal" function call, as well as one of these macro function calls. If you are calling a higher level function, perhaps one that you yourself wrote, that then calls "LoadAccelerators" then you will get this difference, but colouring of this function call will always show it to be a normal function call.
AndyDent Posted - Jan 13 2012 : 02:37:26 AM
The single biggest advantage for me of VS.Next colorisation is that they get macros right. VA doesn't show macros which are function calls which means you can't see those which have A vs W variants, something that's a huge time saver when trying to work out why code works differently with Unicode on or off.
feline Posted - Jan 05 2012 : 11:18:51 PM
Unfortunately no, we don't have any current plans to add this level of syntax highlighting control. Simply accurately identifying the types we do colour still has some problems, due to the having to work behind the IDE's back.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000