Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Anonymized Log File Option

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jay.carlton Posted - Aug 21 2013 : 10:28:47 AM
Hi,

I've got an issue that I can more or less reproduce, and I'm able to create log files. Unfortunately, due to the presence of snippets of my organization's source code in the log, I'm not at liberty to share it with Whole Tomato without an NDA or other arrangement in place, and it's hard to justify going through the internal processes to do that for non-critical issues.

If I had a capability to automatically 'anonymize' the log file, for example by replacing all of our symbol names with a scheme like classA, classB, function1, function2, m_field1, etc; then I could in principle have a log that lets you guys see the issue without exposing any intellectual property. (Ideally, the anonymizer would also export a "rosetta stone" listing what got renamed to what, which I'd keep on my end after sharing the anonymized log to help communicate with you guys).

If my issue persists, I can probably work around this problem. I can edit sections of the log by hand, that seems like a relatively error-prone and tedious undertaking. And I can't really script it without knowing details of the log file format. But certainly don't implement anything complex on my account unless other folks could/would use it as well.

Thanks again.

-Jay
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 26 2013 : 10:08:46 PM
A good question about subscribing automatically, but unfortunately I cannot see a way to do this. We try to reply to all posts within a day or two, but very occasionally it takes longer.

When you were doing the rename, were you using the VA Rename refactoring command, or were you manually renaming these class members? VA should reparse the current file when you are editing manually and you pause slightly. It should also keep up with any Renaming done via the refactoring command.

If you are having problems with any files in particular you can open the file and use the command:

VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

Splitting the implementation across two files might have been a factor, since you are not going to be moving between the header and cpp file directly with Alt-o, since moving in and out of a file is a good way of reminding VA to parse it, and make sure it is fully up to date.

I am glad this problem has been fixed. Its always difficult, after the fact, to figure out what was going wrong.

The files in the %temp% directory, this we can study. VA should be ignoring all files that are in your %temp% folder, so this is unexpected. Can you please show VA's Open File dialog, Alt-Shift-O by default, and then type "\\tfstemp" to filter the list? This will filter the list based on the file path, so will only show files with "\\tfstemp" in their path. Are any files listed?

If you saw any files, can you please make sure there are no files open in the IDE and try again? Are any files listed now?

If files are being listed, then it looks like your solution contains files that are in the %temp% directory, which helps to explain what is going on here, and is probably not what you want.
jay.carlton Posted - Aug 26 2013 : 09:49:11 AM
Hi,

Sorry I missed your reply the other day. I neglected to subscribe to the post. (Is there a forum option somewhere to subscribe to all my own posts by default?)

The issues I was seeing were in a very large class (originally ~200+ methods and ~250 variables) which I was refactoring rapidly. the goto Declaration/Definition with alt-G wasn't working after a few rename operations. Basically, it looks like certain events trigger a re-scanning of individual files or the whole solution, and others do a more lightweight pass. (When it fails to find references due to the re-parse being incomplete, I don't see an error message or progress indicator. Sometimes I just have to wait a minute and try again).

Other potentially complicating factors for this session were

(1.) several nested classes acting as COM interface "vtable only" objects have methods with identical names to private methods in the containing class. These latter methods served as a sort of private implementation of the exposed methods.

2. There are some global methods nearby that were masked by class methods of the same name and signature.

3. The class was split over two implementation files. (I've since changed this, and combined them into one).

4. Several friend clases had access to the private methods and data.

5. I'm in a very big Solution with many more large classes and external dependencies.

Those issues have more or less been cleaned up after a few restarts of the IDE with forced re-parsing.

However, I've noticed recently that copies of my source files in %temp%\\TFStemp, which are used by Team Foundation Server (presumably when doing history diff or Annotate operations), are showing up in the results for Find References and Rename operations. I think this could be a Visual Studio bug, since they also show up when searching within my solution. Looks like this started in VS 2012. We're still on an older version of TFS (2008 I think), however. Anyway, I probably want to exclude anything under %temp% from consideration as a source file.

Here is my system info:
VA_X.dll file version 10.7.1940.0 built 2013.05.30
Licensed to:
<redacted - contact me directly if you need specifics>
DevEnv.exe version 11.0.60610.1 Premium
msenv.dll version 11.0.60610.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7601.17514
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
8 processors (x86-64;
WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v7.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\include;
<redacted>

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\crt\\src;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;

Thanks again,

Jay
feline Posted - Aug 21 2013 : 1:23:50 PM
This is an interesting and sensible idea, I have put in a bug report for making the log files anonymous, to see what our developers make of it. At a guess the log would probably need to be anonymised as it was written, along with any mapping file required.

case=76344

In the mean time, I may be able to help you with your problem without needing log files. What sort of issue are you seeing? Listboxes? Colouring? Refactoring? Something else?

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000