Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Show Include Chain to Definition

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jay.carlton Posted - Oct 15 2013 : 11:30:27 AM
Hi,

VA X is very good at traversing the #include hierarchy when I do Goto. What I'm interested in is, for those cases where there are more than one inclusions in the symbol's journey from its source to its point of use, would there be a way to have VAX display the include trace? So if a type type1 is used in b.cpp, which includes b.h which includes something else that eventually includes a.h, I'd want to be able to right click on type1 in a.cpp and ask VA X to trace this path through the include graph for me. The output could be something like

type1 in b.cpp
-->c:\\project\\include\\b.h
-->c:\\project\\include\\a1.h
-->c:\\common\\a.h

In cases where project settings force the inclusion, that might be nice as well.

Thanks, and have a great day.

-Jay
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 16 2013 : 12:12:27 PM
That makes sense, I have put a note on the case about this.
jay.carlton Posted - Oct 16 2013 : 09:04:09 AM
I wasn't clear in my head on which project settings might make a difference, and now that I think about it, I can't think of any off the top of my head. I suppose you can add eligible include directories or set precompiler symbols and macros that change what gets included, but if it shows the path(s) consistently with how VA X sees them after accounting for precompiler directives, then that would help resolve ambiguities. An option to show which line in what file #included each file would help in those rare cases if that information is readily available.

-Jay
feline Posted - Oct 15 2013 : 10:38:00 PM
An interesting idea, I rather like this. I have put in a feature request to see what our developers make of it:

case=77655

I don't follow your comment about project settings forcing the inclusion though. If the definition for a symbol is not ultimately included then this is a compiler error in the making, and Add Include is designed to help here:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/autoUsing.asp

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000