Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VS Step Filter / Step Into Outermost Call

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Marc Kamradt Posted - Jul 15 2014 : 07:09:09 AM
The VS Step Filter is a really cool new feature. There is one very common use case for me, however, that could be handled even more elegant: Stepping into the outermost call with a single key combination, e.g. Alt+Shift+F11.

Consider a piece of code like this:

UFatBullBlueprintLibrary::ApplyFatBullDamage( hitResult.Actor.Get(),
					hitResult.Component.Get(),
					CollisionDamageToOther.StandardDamage,
					CollisionDamageToOther.StandardDamageEffectivenessOnShield,
					CollisionDamageToOther.StandardDamageEffectivenessOnHealth,
					CollisionDamageToOther.DirectShieldDamage,
					CollisionDamageToOther.DirectHealthDamage,
					GetOwner()->GetInstigatorController(),
					GetOwner() );

99% of the time I want to debug the outermost call. I could go ahead and add all those Getters to the Step Filter but that would probably even take longer than those annoying F11 / Shift-F11 combinations.

Also, I may want to debug one of those Getters the next time I get here or encounter it somewhere else.

Thus a new key combination such as Alt+Shift+F11 could simply step into the outermost call and skip all other calls.

A feature like this would really make debugging a lot more comfortable for me.

Marc
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 16 2014 : 3:24:53 PM
These are good points, I have put in a feature request to see what our developers make of this idea. I am not sure how doable this would be with the step filter, but I do see the logic and the appeal of this:

case=83778
Marc Kamradt Posted - Jul 16 2014 : 03:17:50 AM
Unfortunately not since assuming I got to that piece of code by stepping with F10 / F11 the cursor is not placed at �ApplyFatBullDamage� but at the beginning of the line, so Alt+G won�t do anything.

Even if the cursor where at the right position, Alt+G would open up a menu to select the header or the implementation. Things get worse for overloaded methods or templates.

Marc
feline Posted - Jul 15 2014 : 4:47:34 PM
I see the appeal of this idea, I am just wondering if this is the best solution here. Have you considered Alt-G on the function you want to debug, and the pressing Shift-F10, which is the IDE command for "Run To Cursor"?

This is two key presses, which is about as fast as a VA command is likely to get.

Does this sound like it will work?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000