Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VA-Find References-Classname

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mordachai Posted - Jan 30 2015 : 12:37:13 PM
I would like to be able to configure VA to give back only references to the classname, not all places the verbiage appears.

By that I mean:

class MyClass // Yes! This is the definition of MyClass, so counts as a reference...
{
public:
MyClass() { } // not here, this is a reference to its ctor (which would also be useful to find-refs on)
~MyClass() { } // nope, this is not a reference to MyClass either (but is a ref to its dtor, which is a separate and useful find-refs target)

int fun1();
void fun2();
double fun3();
};

int MyClass::fun1() { return 9; } // NOPE: not a ref to MyClass
void MyClass::fun2() { } // NOPE: not a ref to MyClass
double MyClass::fun3() { return 9.9; } // NOPE: not a ref to MyClass

void main()
{
MyClass c; // YESSSSssss!!! THIS IS A REF TO MyClass
c->fun1();
}

To my mind, just because the letters appear in the correct order doesn't make it a reference. void MyClass::function_name() { } either in declaration or in definition are decl/defn of a member - and only appear when asking after "MyClass::function_name", not after "MyClass".

Constructors and destructors likewise are completely different beasts - they are not references to the class anymore than "fun1" is.

This is a loooooong standing issue, and it seems like technology has advanced to the point that this can be handled? I hope!

Thanks for a great product.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Feb 03 2015 : 11:39:04 AM
There are many context menus in VA -- in Methods in File list, Open File dialog, Find Symbol dialog, Rename dialog, HCB in VA View, MRU in VA View, Find References results, Snippet editor.
Mordachai Posted - Feb 03 2015 : 08:57:28 AM
Well I'll be! A context menu in the find results window - I learn something new everytime I whine about something :)

That may be fine. Ctor/Dtor are less distracting than the many false hits that member definitions generate.
sean Posted - Jan 30 2015 : 8:00:52 PM
In the Find References results window, press S (or use context menu) to remove most of the hits that you don't want to see.

Unfortunately, that will still leave the constructor/destructor in the results. I've opened a request to classify those separate from other references: case=87627

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000