Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Backward compatibility hindering further devlps?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sasa Posted - Mar 20 2006 : 8:25:58 PM
Hi,

I was wondering until when will you guys keep on supporting VStudio6 with the newest versions of VAX?

I was wondering if sometimes you guys makes compromises based on the fact that an 'older' ( either VS6 or VS2003 ) do not support that specific features/pre-requisits you guys want to implement, so you just drop the new feature all together?

How much of a factor is maintining compatibility with backward versions plays a role in new designs?

Thanks for your honest reply.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 21 2006 : 4:14:10 PM
on a related note a lot of people here who do pure C++ development say that VC6 is by far the best IDE. certainly Microsoft have not done much to improve the editing experience for C++ programmers in the newer IDE's. just look at the improvements they have made for C# in VS2005 *sigh*
Sasa Posted - Mar 21 2006 : 01:14:49 AM
gotcha. Thanks for your reply.
support Posted - Mar 21 2006 : 12:30:23 AM
We don't believe we have ever forgone a feature because we wouldn't have been able to make it work in VC 6.0. Numerous other things drive our decisions about features -- primarily what we believe to offer the most benefit to our customers (and is reasonably possible to develop and maintain within a $129 product.)

Features in newer IDEs, i.e. in VS.NET but not in VC 6.0, don't get added to our product. (We assume VC 6.0 users will migrate at some point.) The exceptions are features we add to an IDE prior to MS announcing it for a newer IDE.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000