Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 List methods in current file in another way

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mackomilos Posted - Apr 07 2006 : 12:26:27 PM
I would like to see in some next release to choose how VA shows and sorts methods in current file. At this time VA shows the methods in following way:

Class1.fnc1()
Class1.fnc4()
Class1.fnc5()
Class2.fnc2()
Class2.fnc3()

The problem is that sometimes is hard to find proper function from this list (especially if there are several structures/classes/functions implemented in one file). The better way (at least for me ) would be if VA may list those methods in this way:

fnc1() (Class1)
fnc2() (Class2)
fnc3() (Class2)
fnc4() (Class1)
fnc5() (class1)

As this example shows, the methods are sorted by its name and are shown (instead of class name) at the beginning of the line.

May we await this feature soon?

Thx,
Milos
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 08 2006 : 4:42:17 PM
i see what you are asking for, but i do not yet understand how this helps. my general practice is to keep to one class per cpp and header pair. the only time i put more than one class into a cpp file is when the classes are very tightly coupled. as a result i have never run into this particular problem.

i am reluctant to request another setting for this, since VA options generate far more work than you would expect.

how many classes do you tend to put into a file?

in a more general sense, your example indicates the same function names in more than one class. apart from overloaded operators i am not sure why you would want to do this on a regular basis. am i missing something obvious here?
mackomilos Posted - Apr 08 2006 : 07:52:48 AM
Thanks for your time to answer to my post.

I know about sorting options you wrote, but probably you do not understood me quite well what I'm meaning. Actual version of VA sorts and displays the methods in the current file by class name first (and after that by the method's name) that causes this list quite blind.

It would be better to view this list sorted and displayed by the method's names first (f.e.like UltraEdit does) that allows to navigate in this list more efficiently (without typing any character to find proper method).
feline Posted - Apr 07 2006 : 5:49:22 PM
what are you trying to achieve? are you aware of the VA option to set the sorting of this list? it can be sorted by name or by the order the items are listed in the file.

if you are after a specific name, e.g. "fnc3" then simply type this after triggering the alt-m list. this will filter the list, to only show you items that match your filter string.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000