Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Other included files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ppus Posted - Apr 11 2006 : 6:25:18 PM
To define "other included files", I have to define all the subdirectories that contain .h or related files. Is there possible to give an option for system automatically looking inside a certain directory and parse all the defined ".h" files inside it recursively?
Thanks.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sl@sh Posted - Aug 21 2008 : 04:16:41 AM
It's been some time since I worked with this, but IIRC there is a version of Visual Studio meant to develop for Windows CE. Platform builder would be the part of this IDE that translates the code to a specific embedded target platform. (or several target platforms)

Visual Studio for CE works just like the standard version except for the builder (obviously), so Visual Assist integrates nicely with this IDE (at least it did when I last worked with this setup, some 4-5 years ago).

This IDE has the special property that it is inherently designed to deal with several different platforms at the same time, so it is set up to define include directories for each target platform individually.

I can see why it would be difficult for a plugin to determine the location of the include directory(/~ies), since there are potentially many locations for different platforms, and multiple include files of the same name might contain different declarations!

The problem I see here is that VAX, even it does locate these directories, wouldn't know which were the 'right' ones. As I said above, declarations may be different for different target platforms. For VAX to deal with this correctly it would need to know the include directories for each target platform, plus a setting for the platform you're currently looking at.
feline Posted - Aug 14 2008 : 11:00:52 AM
What project settings are you using?
What problems are you having?

What IDE are you using? I do not recognise Windows CE 6 as an IDE.
oooooooo Posted - Aug 13 2008 : 10:09:42 PM
For Windows CE 6, with platform builder, the project setting is useless for VA to find all the headers. What is your solution for this case to generate the symbol database?
support Posted - Jul 14 2008 : 2:31:25 PM
case=2943 addresses Alt+G finding files outside of projects. This should allow you to Goto your code without adding many directories to the include list.

case=2943 is fixed in build 1645
feline Posted - Jul 29 2006 : 11:27:05 AM
before getting onto how to try and do this, first some thoughts on why VA is not rushing to do this. currently we have over 400 open bug reports in our bug tracker, and these are just the bugs that have been confirmed and entered. they range from quite minor right up to "my IDE crashes", i put another IDE crashes bug report in only a couple of days ago.

your situation, difficult as it is, is strictly speaking a feature request, not a bug report. we have another bucket full of feature requests, and we get new ones on a regular basis, especially now refactoring is on beta.

somehow we have to balance all of this. as a programmer yourself, can you really say "i want this feature" is more urgent than "the product crashes"? now this IS the extreme end of the scale, but everyone thinks their bug reports are the most urgent. i know i would like my bug reports fixed first

your specific situation, as i understand it, is that your company does not configure the IDE so that it can find the source code. so you are asking us to add code that only helps in this specific situation.

the vast majority of people have their systems set up so that the IDE knows where the code is, and compiles it, which means this feature will only benefit a small number of people.

you seem to feel, with justification, that this is a "simple fix". i have come to conclude there are no simple fixes in VA, due to the way it has to hook into multiple different IDE's. when you see basic features stop working because the user only has one IDE installed it brings it home just how complex this all is.

in your specific situation there is something i simply do not understand. why do you not generate the list of directories, which you should be able to do by searching through the makefile ("grep" would be ideal for this) and pulling out the directories. having done this you have the "master" directory list, which you then set in the IDE, VA picks it up, and you are done. even if you have several makefiles a combination of "grep" and "sort", with perhaps a little "awk" thrown in should be able to do this job very quickly.

or you could write a program to recurse down the directory tree, generating the directory list, which can then be copy / pasted into VA's options dialog. i wrote such a program myself a while back, it only took about an hour, from scratch.

you talk as if you have to change the directory list every few days, but i do not understand why. am i missing something obvious here?

there is a LOT of difference between "i need to generate this list once every 6 years, when i re-format my machine" and "i have to generate this list every 2 days". i suspect we are all assuming this list is static.
dingweed Posted - Jul 27 2006 : 12:12:58 PM
I think you guys do not understand the problem.

I might have tons of different projects that I'm working on at the same time the layout might look something like this

Projects
|-Prj1
||-Prj2
|-Prj3
||||-Prj4
|-Prj5
|-Prj6
More Projects
|-Prj1
|||||-Prj2
|-Prj3

etc. And it's a huge bitch for me to add all the projects manually or even by modifying the registry. It is still tedious. And no I canG??t change the layout of the projects because thatG??s how my company does things.
So instead of going in and manually inserting *each* project what I would like to see is a checkbox to parse the directories recursively and the only thing I would have to do is add Projects check the parse recursively checkbox and More Projects and check the box.
What suck about all this is that I was asking for this feature for 3 years now and no one seem to care at WholeTomato. This is a big deal to me.
What I do now sucks I create a reg file where I change AdditionalInclude key under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet\\Custom] or something like that and I add all the projects recursively in there. This is tedious so very much.
And the fact that WholeTomato doesnG??t wanna add that simple feature (that I could whip out in an afternoon if I had the sources) boggles my mind. Please, please, please finally add this feature.

quote:
Originally posted by support

If your code has these statements:

#include "a.h"
#include "b/c.h"

... and "a.h" and the b subdirectory live in the same directory, then you need only tell VA X where the parent directory is.

If you do this:

#include "a.h"
#include "c.h"

... then you need to tell VA X about the parent directory and the b subdirectory.

support Posted - Apr 14 2006 : 12:35:36 PM
If your code has these statements:

#include "a.h"
#include "b/c.h"

... and "a.h" and the b subdirectory live in the same directory, then you need only tell VA X where the parent directory is.

If you do this:

#include "a.h"
#include "c.h"

... then you need to tell VA X about the parent directory and the b subdirectory.
jpizzi Posted - Apr 14 2006 : 12:43:23 AM
Yes, you must copy them and put them in the project or VA settings. I seem to remember that someone had a suggestion on an easier way to do that. Let me see if I can find it....

OK. The only thing I found was a way to recursively list all subdirectories:

dir /s /b /a:d

You can even pipe this to a file (using "> file"). Then you can copy and paste the directories into the dialog(s) for include files.
ppus Posted - Apr 13 2006 : 3:16:55 PM
Actually, I depends on makefile to compile and build. That's why the include path is also not set in the environment. But still, I would like to have the VA and VS for code reading/writting. Seems, I must copy all the include pathes from the makefile I used and put them into the project setting or IDE setting or VA setting.

quote:
Originally posted by jpizzi

When you type a #include, do you include a relative path, or just the raw filename? If the latter, do you add all these directories to the project, so the compiler can find them, or how do you get the compiler to find them?

jpizzi Posted - Apr 12 2006 : 5:21:52 PM
When you type a #include, do you include a relative path, or just the raw filename? If the latter, do you add all these directories to the project, so the compiler can find them, or how do you get the compiler to find them?
ppus Posted - Apr 12 2006 : 2:35:18 PM
Thanks. I totally agree with that. But the current problem is that all the ".h" can be found (recursively) in a certain directory, but there are really too many subdirectories recursively located in this certain directory. I am fine to wait a little bit for VA to recursively find out where the ".h" file. However, I didn't see any option for me to define this in both VA and VS7.1. If I missed it, please let me know. Thanks. If not and it is not expected to be supported, what I can do is to figure out all the sub-directories under that certain directory and add all of them ( or some ) to either the IDE setting/project setting or VA custom directory.

Let me know. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by support

Our lists of headers don't tell VA X what to parse, they tell VA X where to find headers #included by your source.

We assume you are trying to set custom directories in our options dialog. This is typically not recommended. Instead, we recommend proper configuring of your IDE settings -- both those that apply to all workspaces, and those that are specific to each project.

Have a careful read through:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/directories.html?more=yes

support Posted - Apr 11 2006 : 11:53:13 PM
Our lists of headers don't tell VA X what to parse, they tell VA X where to find headers #included by your source.

We assume you are trying to set custom directories in our options dialog. This is typically not recommended. Instead, we recommend proper configuring of your IDE settings -- both those that apply to all workspaces, and those that are specific to each project.

Have a careful read through:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/directories.html?more=yes

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000