Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Filter and search in the reference result

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AlfredS Posted - Sep 29 2006 : 04:11:46 AM
Hi!

It would be very useful when the result window has the functionality to specify filter criteria like:
* Show all assignment for a variable
* Show all lines where the variable is used as function parameter
* A text filter in the result with regular expression.

When the result is a lot of lines it's very difficult to find one assignment or where is used the variable as parameter of a function.

Best regards.
Alfred
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 05 2006 : 12:39:15 PM
i am still in search of a great idea i see the need, but i am not sure how best to try and do this.

i have put in a vague feature request, so if someone else has a great idea we have somewhere to record it.

case=2867
AlfredS Posted - Oct 05 2006 : 02:25:24 AM
Hello felline!

I don't say I need this a lot of times, but sometimes was useful. Almost the result list is short with this I agree but this depends from the item. A filter or search in the result window like in the IDE you can do in the find window will help. Maybe you have a great idea.

Best regards
Alfred.
feline Posted - Oct 04 2006 : 10:16:53 AM
something like the filtering you get on the alt-m list makes sense, but it would be hard to achieve some of the things you are after with such a simple filter.

assignment is already indicated, but could be hard to pick out of a long list.
a function parameter makes sense, but may be hard to do in reality. what about function calls that are split across several lines?

i am trying to think up a simple enhancement that will help.
is this something you need a lot? most times i run find references it only returns a small number of items.
AlfredS Posted - Oct 02 2006 : 06:00:28 AM
Hello feline!

Yes I recognize that the icon is changed from assign, read and unsure(?) but this don't safe me to spend the time to search again in the result manually. And in the same time told me this icon that have the most of the information to implement a group filter. Was "only" necessary to implement a toolbar in the result window with some buttons to hide the result of a group.

This what I means is to can search and filter in the result window not how is evaluated the result. Is the syntax of this text filter is in reg-ex or joker chars is not the big point.

The suggestion list I can filter (public, private, ...) and a similar functionality was usefully for then result window.

Independent from small point's is the new version very useful and speedup the modification of existing code very much!

Best regards
Alfred

feline Posted - Sep 30 2006 : 11:34:49 AM
are you aware that the icon at the start of the line is shown in a different colour when the line is an assignment?

my initial reaction is to avoid this sort of filtering of find results, since it could get fairly complex, quite quickly. i am quite a fan of regular expressions, but every program that supports them seems to do so slightly differently, plus as soon as we have a regular expression filter people will want an option to make it a standard filter, since that is easier than having to use regular expressions, and escape certain characters.

have you considered doing a regular expression find in files, via the IDE's find in files feature? this may be better suited to what you are trying to do.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000