Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 color of method definitions

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rodneys Posted - Oct 06 2006 : 11:23:03 AM
A suggestion for the next version: different colors for method calls and method declarations. Consider a cpp-file with some method definitions:

void TestClass::method1() {
   method3() ;
   method4() ;
}

void TestClass::method2() {
   method5() ;
   method6() ;
}

It would be very nice to have the lines "void TestClass::method1()" and "void TestClass::method2()" colored or marked in some special way, so the reader can immediately see where methods start.

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 07 2006 : 12:21:40 PM
normally I only put comments into the cpp file, since that is where I spend nearly all of my time, and the comments are mainly for me.
support Posted - Oct 06 2006 : 8:30:54 PM
One might argue the outlining features of VS.NET and VS2005 offset the starts and ends of methods. Fairly minimally, though.
rodneys Posted - Oct 06 2006 : 5:03:49 PM
I use comment blocks for methods only in the header file because they explain how the method should be used (explaining the arguments, constraints,etc.). I write implementation specific comments directly into the code in the cpp-file.
Do you create comment blocks in the header file *and* in the cpp-file? Lot of work to keep them in sync, isn't it?

I know, I could write separators like

//-----------------------------

between the methods to make the code more readable. Actually, I hoped such things wouldn't be necessary anymore in the year 2006 :-)
feline Posted - Oct 06 2006 : 3:39:37 PM
personally i use Document Method for this

having used VIM under UNIX for years, I am in the habit of having nice obvious comment blocks (with a line of star's at the top and bottom of the comment) at the start of each function for exactly this reason.

if you select different colours for types and functions in VA options, I have types in blue and functions in FF8000 (a shade of orange) then you get a contrast between the two which helps draw attention to these lines.

beyond this, we are unlikely to ever do this specific change.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000