Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 better overview of class inheritance

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
drzoom Posted - Oct 31 2006 : 04:19:02 AM
Hello

(C++, if it matters)

I'm refactoring a lot of old horrible code, and should get a good overview about the inheritance of classes. To tell it first, Doxygen is no solution for me .

With VS2005 is can see all base and derived classes. This is a big improvement to VS2003. But what I miss is informations about implemented and overridden methods.

It's very hard to look trough a hierarchy with five and more levels of inheritance to find a class which is overriding a method declared in the base class. Or to check, if a method is the first declaration or it is implementing an interface.

This are the two main cases I really need a lot. And I think other developers need them to.

Doxygen is no alternative, because I work with a code base with minimum ~750 files to parse for ~400 classes. While refactoring I working on a single interface and check/rename/redesign method for method. With Doxygen I had to reparse the whole code after every single step. I need a solution like Visual Assist X, with a quick reaction time. So if I move a method from an interface down to an implementation class, I would like to see the impacts after a few seconds.

The two common cases:

• Common Case 1: I'm looking to the base class to an virtual abstract method. Then I need to know in which subclasses the method is implemented/overridden.

• Common Case 2: I see a method (usually without the optional "virtual" keyword which could be a hint), and want to now, which interface this method is implementing. Think about multiple inheritance, which is very common in C++.

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jan 31 2010 : 1:16:47 PM
case=3346 is implemented in build 1810
feline Posted - Oct 31 2006 : 08:40:06 AM
Case 1, if you are using 1539 or above then do a Find References on the function in the interface. This will find references in the derived classes. However this will not find references in any base / parent classes.

Case 2, this is the same problem that came up here
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5533

It is due to complexities like multiple inheritance that Find References, which is also used for rename, does not try to scan the base / parent classes. Find References is used by rename, which also opens up edge cases to do with the base class being a core system class that VA should not rename.

Since this question has now come up in 3 separate threads I have put in a feature request to get the developers feedback on this. However this does not mean we will actually try and do this.

case=3346

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000