Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Visual Assist for Linux

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
abductee Posted - Nov 05 2006 : 2:31:50 PM
hi there,
as a very satisfied visual assist customer( who has "converted" quite some people to use it btw :)
my question is:

will we see a linux-version(or linux compatible) of VAX anytime soon?

the background of that question is: i'll have to do quite a lot of work under linux in the near future, however there seems to be no tool(under linux) that can give me the same features/usuability as VAX does.
Visual Studio 6 runs under linux via wine, but Visual Assist does not.
since VAX seems to use scantilla and an own way of getting the entry points for the dll calls, that might be the problem. other editors using scantilla, like scite do not offer the same comfort.
however, since microsoft is now openly pushing linux in some areas
how likely is it that we will see a linux-version of VAX anytime soon for any editor/ide on linux?

kind regards,
michael

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 31 2007 : 3:08:26 PM
I believe that VMWare offer VM Workstation for Linux, allowing you to run Windows, and thus your chosen IDE, under a Linux host OS.

Personally I share several of your feelings, and most of my test machines run win2k, and it was an age before I moved over to winXP. We will certainly keep an eye on this, but it is not something we are considering at the moment.

If you manage to get the IDE running successfully under WINE (I have no idea how likely this is) then certainly this would be interesting news, since it would offer the possibility of "just" getting VA to work under WINE. Probably a significant task, but perhaps easier than plugging into a completely different IDE.
Dbug Posted - Mar 31 2007 : 2:04:36 PM
Like the original poste I am a very satisfied user of VA, and I pushed at least two companies to order a number of licences for the employees (even if I have my own personal one).

I have been using VC6, and all the intermediate version of Visual.net, and I have to admit that I am less and less impressed by what Microsoft managed to do with their IDE. I am a C++ programmer, so most new features are totaly worthless for me, all I got basicaly was a more compliant compiler, and a better debugger (able to display the content of STL containers).

Compared to my VC6 with WndTabs and VAX, I don't see any changes, except a slower IDE, more crashes, and generaly speaking a higher level of annoyingness.

And the same is happenning with Microsoft OS. I've been using happily Windows 2000 for years (I still use it at home), been working a little less happily with Windows XP (broken search engine, numerous annoying things here and there), and Vista is being a nightmare (and I don't speak about the 64 bits versions).

Ok, finished for the long rant with is not VA related.

The point is that I'm (like a number of collegues), definitively not switching to Vista, and I'm in the process of switching as much as possible things from Windows to Linux, both at work and at home.

I don't know what is the current state of mind of other programmers all over the world, but for me and at least two programmers I know in my team, they would be more than happy to pay for a good IDE for C++ that would run on Linux or Mac (idealy it should be portable so also on Windows...) with VA capabilities, and tabs.

So it could be a pluggin for K-Develop, Anjunta or what not (I'm not particularly impressed so far with what is available on Linux...), or simply making it sure that it's not crashing under Wine at least. (I've been checking all my own software for Wine compatibility, and most of the time is just a ridiculous programming error which make it crash on Linux but should actually have crashed on Windows too).

(for the record I'm using Ubuntu, tried Suze but found it unusable).

Perhaps could just send a poll to your customers, asking if they would be interested (and would pay) for a Linux version of VA, or if they think it's just a ridiculous idea.

I know that it would not happen any time soon, but it would be probably a good idea considering the possibility of doing that in some not so far future :)

feline Posted - Nov 05 2006 : 2:51:16 PM
For the foreseeable future, extremely unlikely. We have more than enough work simply keeping up with the current set of Microsoft IDE's under Windows.

We have various users who do work under UNIX or Linux using VA, but this is done by running VA and the IDE under Windows, and accessing the code via a mapped drive. I have often done this myself.

As for Microsoft pushing Linux, I was under the impression this was mainly in the area of virtualisation, so people know they can run Linux in a virtual machine inside a Windows host OS.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000