Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 detecting corrupt symbol database

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eve Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 04:36:09 AM
Hi,

I killed VAX while it was parsing. I realize that this is not the smartest thing to do, but I assumed the IDE was hanging (the status bar just said 'Ready').
The result of this violent act was that I could no longer start the project: during the next parse of VAX, the ide would start taking tons of memory, forcing me to kill it again as fast as possible.

So I wonder if it is possible that VAX would somehow detect that the previous parse was interrupted and that its database might be corrupt, or at least warn me that strange thins might happen.

thanks,
eli
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
eve Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 10:39:21 AM
Thanks, I'll remember that.
support Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 10:35:50 AM
When you're not running the IDE, delete the IDE-specific subdirectory in the VA X installation directory if you ever want VA X to forget everything it knows about symbols and reparse everything.
eve Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 08:29:25 AM
vs2005, C++
But I disabled the intellisense, so I don't think the problem comes from there.

Maybe I should give you the full explanation about what made me kill the IDE:
- I pressed the rebuild and clear buttons in the VAX performance options dialog, but did not yet restart the IDE
- from outside the IDE, I re-created the vcproj file. If you do that and enter the IDE again, then it reloads the solution by doing some internal startup.
- This restart took rather long, so I killed the IDE

I assume that the restart took so long because VAX was rebuilding the symbol database, although I cannot prove that.
What happened next was that during the parse of a large header, VAX went in some endless allocation loop that consumed all my memory (2 Gigs) in about 5 seconds. I just had enough time to kill the IDE again :-).

Anyway, I realize that this a bit of an exotic situation. But maybe it is possible to avoid going in an endless allocation loop?
feline Posted - Nov 16 2006 : 08:11:28 AM
Normally closing the IDE while VA is parsing should be fine, I have done this quite often myself. I believe some efforts are under way to detect a corrupt database.

I am more concerned about what prompted you to kill the IDE to begin with. Which IDE and language are you using?
VS2005 with a large C++ project can appear to hang on its own, without VA installed, due to the IDE's intellisense parser.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000