Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Code navigation features.

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rain Dog Posted - Nov 19 2006 : 01:49:06 AM
I've just been checking out the tool Crystal REVS from SGV Sarc, it has a lot of features that I think VAX could possibly add. They are:

1. Flow chart of functions/code
2. Compact Outline view of a file

And some really wacky editing features that you have to see to believe.

Also, I've been wanting more granular syntax highlighting. I believe VS recognizes all various types of C++ constucts, such as Class Name, Namespace, Method, Function. I would like to be able to set syntax colors on all of those items.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 21 2006 : 08:29:19 AM
I am not an expert on Resharper, but they only target VS2003 and VS2005, and the C# and ASP.NET languages, from their website.

As a result they have an "easier" job. They do not have to deal with the fact that VC6 works differently, and they do not have to deal with 1,001 bizarre effects caused by #define lines in C and C++. This means that they have a better idea of what the source code actually "means" when they come to highlight it.

This other application and its code outlining, I am not familiar with how this works, but if they are the editor then they have complete control, and can do things that we cannot realistically do in the IDE, since we cannot just "hide" (collapse) blocks of text, the IDE will get upset since it won't know we hid them.

If you are looking at this to help you move through a file have you seen this? It might offer up a couple of suggestions you are not familiar with:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W198
Rain Dog Posted - Nov 21 2006 : 12:49:09 AM
How does resharper offer more syntax highlighting options? It creates several custom syntax highlighting options, specifically including the options to highlight the stuff I mentioned above in different colors.

The compacted outline view of this application is different than the outlining produced by VS, this app has a custom view (in a manner similar to class viewer) in which the code is displayed "collapsed" and clicking on any of the segments in this region takes you to that area of code in the editor window.

I agree that their website kind of sucks, and overall their product could use a lot of usability enhancements but they did have several features I thought were useful and creative.
feline Posted - Nov 20 2006 : 08:07:52 AM
I found this website, which appears to be the program you are talking about: http://www.sgvsarc.com/default.htm

First reaction - what is this? I had to find a working demo (the first one I tried said the link was invalid) before I could even work out if it was an IDE plugin or a stand alone program.

It appears to be a stand alone program, I am not actually sure if it is an editor or not.

flow chart of the code - it is unlikely we will try to offer anything like this any time soon. it is a bit outside of our core area.

compact outline view of a file - the IDE already provides outlining features in VS2003 and VS2005.

the editing features, I have no clear impression of what this product might do from the website, and the website did not inspire me with an urge to try and find out
the additional syntax highlighting, if they have written their own editor then they can offer more highlighting than VA can, since they have full control of how the code is drawn. VA does not have anything like full control, and even the highlighting we do offer has some problems around the edges.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000