Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Focus on function

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fury94 Posted - Dec 10 2006 : 2:18:18 PM
I think it would help a lot to comfort if Visual Assist's general "focus-on-function" feature (activated by ALT+G, or by selecting a method in the list, etc) could not just place the cursor at the right place, but also scroll the text so that:
1- The cursor is always in the middle (or top) of the text editor window.
2- The *whole* function declaration/definition is visible after the VAssistX command (currently I think multi-line function parameters is the only reason why it can cause problem)

In fact, it seems the problem is that when Visual Assist is told to move the cursor somewhere, it will be "lazy", which means it will do the less scrolling it can. It would be very nice if it could copy the behavior of the CTRL+G (Goto) function of Visual Studio, which centers the text editor view on the cursor.

Thanks!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 30 2007 : 1:19:38 PM
Perhaps it can, but we have to make it work, without breaking anything else, in several different IDE's. I have learned that making changes in VA takes quite a bit longer than you expect, and you often encounter unexpected problems
Esone Posted - Mar 30 2007 : 10:41:18 AM
I just note, that IMHO this useful feature can be implemented in 5-10 minutes: just to find leftmost entry of the symbol whithin a line, and select it. :)
feline Posted - Mar 30 2007 : 10:04:42 AM
It is a question of priorities. We only have so many resources, and bug fixes generally take priority over enhancements.

We try to strike a good balance, adding new features and enhancements at a steady rate, while also fixing lots of bugs.

For now, if you are trying to see where in the file you have landed, and if you are using VS2003, VS2005, try turning on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> correction -> Highlight active line in text editor
Esone Posted - Mar 30 2007 : 05:18:32 AM
Is that a kind of legible to ask, whether so desirable case=1062 is going to be implemented soon? :)

I don't see any rocket science here:
1) VAX can navigate to the target row,
2) then VAX can find an item in this string, and select it.
support Posted - Feb 23 2007 : 02:51:46 AM
Case 458 is fixed in build 1547.
support Posted - Dec 12 2006 : 1:24:36 PM
Case numbers are internal only.

You see them again on our history page when we resolve the cases.
Esone Posted - Dec 12 2006 : 02:31:59 AM
Is there some place on the website, where all "case=" are enumerated?
feline Posted - Dec 11 2006 : 08:38:53 AM
fury94 this is in our list of enhancements to make at some point:

case=458

Esone this is also in the list

case=1062
Esone Posted - Dec 11 2006 : 03:47:31 AM
One more feature sub-request of this kind: ALT+G should not only move the cursor to the beginning of line with symbol declaration, but it should select this symbol declaration in the editor. Just like Visual Studio 2005 does by F12.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000